Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer software install claims 'not enough disc space'

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NathanH

NathanH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

My boss went on a 'deleting essential programs' spree on his computer recently, and deleted the software which allows him to scan from his Brother MFC-7440 printer.

When I attempt to reinstall the ControlCenter3 software (via downloaded .exe on the C: drive), it tells me there is not enough disc space available to complete the 67MB installation. Rest assured, the C: drive has over 400GB available. The installer states that the destination drive has 0MB free, so it must be pointing to the DVD drive or some non-existent external drive.

The problem is that the program never asks for a destination. I have no way to tell it "install to C:, damnit!". It defaults to, and allows for no destination other than, this 0MB-free mystery drive.

Is there any way to get it pointing at the right drive?

I have done my diligence in scouring the internet for similar problems and have attempted several proposed solutions, including purging the computer and the registry of all Brother-related data, disabling/enabling and plugging/unplugging all disc drives and external drives that are in some degree of use, and a few other things I'm sure I have forgotten.

Save me, Internet!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Hi

Make sure you are running the setup from an administrator account. Also, right click on the executable and select 'Run as administrator' instead of double clicking.

If you still can't install it, remove the entire Brother software and driver using official driver remover tool and install the full package.

Driver removal tool.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_index.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc7440n_all&type2=all&type3=39&os=all&flang=all&dlid=

Full driver and software package

For Win 7 32

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dlf/000000/004600/dlf004616.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc7440n_all&type2=1&os=92&flang=8&dlid=dlf004616

For Win 7 64

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dlf/000000/004600/dlf004616.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc7440n_all&type2=1&os=93&flang=8&dlid=dlf004616

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 May 2013 - 08:08 AM.

#3 NathanH

NathanH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

I managed to install it by editing a line in the Brinst_Common.ini file:

from

CopyDir=PROGRAMFILES\Brother\Brmfl04g

to

CopyDir=C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04g

But now I have a new error.

When attempting to scan and save to a file (with either the ControlCenter program or from the device directly), the following error message appears:

MFC-7440N LAN cannot be found.

-If the device is OFF, turn ON the device.

-Check the I/F cable connection between the device and your computer.

-If the scanner is working with another application, cancel scanning or wait until the scan job finishes and try again.

(CC3-202-03031b02)

The device is on, it is connected wirelessly over the network, and it is not engaged in any other activities. I can print to it successfully. Only the scanning is an issue.

Though I've almost had my fill of restarting the computer, I may uninstall everything again and try a new install with the .ini file pointing to Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files, since the former is where the Start Menu shortcut thinks the program is installed.

But any other thoughts would be appreciated in the mean time.

#4 jckonto

jckonto

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

It's been over two years so not sure if this will be useful to anyone, but the solution that worked for me was to change the Brinst_Common.ini as the OP said, but changing to "Program Files (x86)" (which is what he said he would try):

from

to

CopyDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\Brmfl04g

Then save the changes and double click the Starup file (in the same folder as the Brinst_Common file). Installation should proceed normally. 

To be safe, I also uninstalled the old one software, cleared out all program files for Brother, and checked the registry for any keys related to Brother. Also, in case anyone doesn't know, you need to unzip the driver that you download from Brother and then go to a similar path to the one below to find the relevant file:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\[Downloads]\mflpro\MFC-7420\Brinst_Common.ini

Edited by jckonto, 15 September 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

Any feedback of a resolution...is good, IMO :).

Thanks...happy computing :).

Louis

#6 OleKingCoale

OleKingCoale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

Two more years later and this solution is the one that worked for me. Thank you jckonto!!!

It's been over two years so not sure if this will be useful to anyone, but the solution that worked for me was to change the Brinst_Common.ini as the OP said, but changing to "Program Files (x86)" (which is what he said he would try):

from

to

CopyDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\Brmfl04g

Then save the changes and double click the Starup file (in the same folder as the Brinst_Common file). Installation should proceed normally. 

To be safe, I also uninstalled the old one software, cleared out all program files for Brother, and checked the registry for any keys related to Brother. Also, in case anyone doesn't know, you need to unzip the driver that you download from Brother and then go to a similar path to the one below to find the relevant file:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\[Downloads]\mflpro\MFC-7420\Brinst_Common.ini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users