Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fimbulvinter

Fimbulvinter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure whether this topic should be in this forum section, hopefully it is the correct one. Anyhow, I have a problem. Today while I was simultaneously listening to music via winamp and using firefox my computer froze (first time that has happened on this computer actually). So I turned off the computer, restarted it, and then a black screen appeared. I could still use the mouse though, on the black screen that is. I thought my harddrive or graphicscard had "died" but after awhile windows started. To my surprise I was greeted by the "log in screen", which was suprising since I have always had this computer on "auto-login". Another suprise was that the sensitivity of the mouse had been reset to default. Beyond that everything worked fine. So I decided to run a checkdisk and a sf/verifyonly, 0 problems was found on those. Then I decided to update some drivers (maybe that was the problem), but these were already updated. Then I decided to restart the computer, this time in safe mode with network access, to see if the same problem was there, which it was. When I start the computer the following happen:
1. I get a "black screen" on which I can move my mouse around (the sensitivity is changed to default), and it takes quite awhile to start windows
2. Then I get the "welcome screen", which also takes quite awhile
3. Then I did get the log in screen (I fixed this, my computer is on "auto-login" again)

I should also point out that when my computer froze I wasn't installing/updating anything. Any ideas?

//I did first post this on geekpolice, but they don't seem so active these days with problems such as mine (http://www.geekpolice.net/t29495-black-screen-on-startup)//

Edited by Fimbulvinter, 08 May 2013 - 06:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hi

Try a system restore to a date prior to this happening. Read the below guide to know how to do that (if you don't know already)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

After system restore finishes scan your system with 'MalwareBytes' and 'Superantispyware'.

#3 Fimbulvinter

Fimbulvinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hello,

Yea, I've been thinking about doing a system restore myself. The problem is that I'm not sure if it would change anything... What is weird about "my problem" is that I have no idea what could have caused it. Usually when your computer act weird you at least have an idea, about the cause that is. But, since I have no idea what could have caused it I'm not really sure what I should do about it. You are right though, a system restore is an option.

May I ask why I should scan my system with malwarebytes afterwards? Do you think this is virus/malware related?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi

Doing system restore won't affect your personal data. Since the problem came while you are surfing net, it could be a malware issue . It is always safe to scan for infections in a regular intervals even if your system seems to work fine.

#5 Fimbulvinter

Fimbulvinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hello again,

You're right but if this was the case I would have expected avira to react, and the pages I was browsing are known to be safe (I also have no-script which usually helps). I see your point though, let's it a try.

#6 Fimbulvinter

Fimbulvinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sadly that didn't help. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the replies though, Anshad Edavana.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hi

So you did a system restore and the black screen issue is still  there ?

Regarding your question about malwares : There is no single Antivirus in the world which can detect all the malwares. Some nasty infections like Rootkits requires manual removal. Installing an antivirus is not offer complete protection against viruses. You don't have to visit unsecured sites to get infected. Using 'MalwareBytes free' and 'Superantispyeware free' as a second opinion scanner is always a good idea.

Before proceeding to any other steps, we need to collect some basic info about your system. Follow this steps.

1 ) Post a snapshot using Speccy.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Paste the web link displayed by Speccy in next display. 

2 ) Download Minitoolbox and save it to the desktop. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Now open it and select the following items only.

List last 10 Event Viewer errors

List installed programs

List devices

List users, partition and memory size

List minidumps

Now click 'Go" and post the result in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 May 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#8 Fimbulvinter

Fimbulvinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Hello again,

First of all, thank you for helping me!

Well, MalwareBytes is one of those programs that I always install on my computers. And, I forgot to mention in the OP, that I have searched the computer with it, after the problem appeared, and it didn't find anything. The reason for asking that question is that I was curious just how a virus/malware could have been missed by both avira and MalwareBytes (just realized that my "question" wasn't that clearly stated).

And yes, I did try the systemrestore method which didn't help.

Edited by Fimbulvinter, 09 May 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#9 Fimbulvinter

Fimbulvinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

*Problem fixed*

Edited by Fimbulvinter, 09 May 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi

I see a major problem with the Programs you installed. You installed two antivirus software at the same time - Comodo and Avira. I didn't counted Malwarebytes as the free version is a only an on demand scanner. Running two AV will cause several issues and actually reduce your security. You should make a choice between one of them. For now uninstall both Avira and Comodo. We can install one of them later after sorting out your issue.

https://technutopia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5423

http://www.techulator.com/experts/306-Is-right-use-two-separate-anti-virus-programs-one-PC.aspx

#11 Fimbulvinter

Fimbulvinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hello,

I don't think I have. I have only installed the firewall version of comodo (through custom install), so it isn't (at least it hasn't) working as a antivirus. Do you want me to uninstall them anyway?

Edit: Action center also only identifies one anti-virus program (that is avira, so there shouldn't be any problems there)

Edited by Fimbulvinter, 08 May 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hi

In your Minitoolbox result it is shown as 'Comodo Internet security'  and that is a full antivirus program. May be Minitoolbox reported it wrongly but i still recommend to uninstall both Avira and Comodo. The reason for that is about a month ago i faced a similar issue (black screen, slow logon etc ) and uninstalling and reinstalling Kaspersky fixed it. 

Edit :

Since the Language of your Windows is not English, i had some difficulty in understanding the log. I used Google translate to read the log. There is a lot of "Det finns ett felaktigt block på enhet \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" in your log and when translated it to English it means "It  is a bad block on device \ Device \ Harddisk1 \ DR1"

It means your HDD surface may developed bad sectors and it may be failing !. Backup any data immediately.  We need to test the health of your HDD to make sure it is in good shape before any other steps. Please follow the below steps.

Download Seagate Seatools : http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Download Imgburn : http://www.imgburn.com/?act=download

Refer this tut and burn the ISO using Imgburn :

Now boot from the CD and run a long test and post the result.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 09 May 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#13 Fimbulvinter

Fimbulvinter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hello again,

So I had a long, long night. I noticed, what you noticed, the "Det finns ett felaktigt block på enhet \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" and decided to back up everything. I always thought checkdisk would notice stuff like that though, weird. Regarding my initial problem I decided to remove the current harddrive and install a new one. Under normal circumstances I would have followed your suggestions here, that is using Seagate Seatools, however I'm currently in a hurry, I need the computer fixed ASAP so to speak because of work. So, I decided to get a new one instead and install a "fresh" version of windows. I would like to give you a huge "thank you" though, for helping me out.

Regarding the comodo thing, I still don't think that the anti-virus was installed. When you install it you can choose "custom installation", and I'm quite sure that I had it installed without anti-virus/malware/spyware and defense+. But who knows...

Anyhow, thank you for the help!

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hi

Replacing the HDD is the right thing to do. After installing Windows. consider installing the standalone Comodo firewall or Zone alarm Firewall. Both are good. Here are the download links :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users