Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Product key number

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

Does anyone know how to obtain a product key number for my compaq presario. I need to reinstall xp. I do not have a cd, and hp is not to helpful. My machine is about 6 years old. It is a Compaq Presiaro, Model #

SR1630NX . Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

Can you boot into Windows on the system mentioned?

Louis

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hi

Is your system came installed with Win XP ?. Is there is a COA sticker with CD key written in the bottom of the laptop ?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Where do I find my Windows product key?
How to identify, locate, and replace a product key

If using an HP/Compaq Presiaro you can refer to Where to find your HP Computer's serial number.

If booting up is not a problem, then you could dowload and use one of 13 Free Product Key Finder Programs <- WinKeyFinder, Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder are very good

Third-party programs which can be used to find Product Keys:
  • MiTeC System Information X
  • SIW <- (launch and click on "Licenses" under Software)
  • System Explorer <- (launch and click on "Additional Info" under System)
  • SysSpec <- (launch and click on "Personal Info" icon, the blue man figure at the top)
  • Belarc Advisor <- (after it creates a profile...scroll down to "Software Licenses" near the bottom. Be careful with the log it will create for the computer's profile. Belarc logs will show IPs, various product keys and serial numbers that should be kept private so don't post it.)
  • Free PC Audit <- (will show Product Key and Product ID)
  • Auslogics System Information <- (launch and click on "General Information"
  • PCInfo

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

If your laptop has a recovery drive you can reinstall from there. Most likely using the recovery drive will not ask for the key. I have reinstalled Windows several times on a Compaq and an HP and have never had to enter the key.(side note: I did not have to enter the key when I formatted my daughters Toshiba)  However, you should find it and write it down just in case. You can find out if you have a recovery drive by going to My Computer. It would be listed as Recovery (D).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users