Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Record Dvd Movies To Hdd As Mpeg's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:31 AM

I want to record some of my dvd movies to my hdd (mainly AC/DC and 4 seasons of Family Guy) so that I can watch them at will without having to insert the dvd. I'd like to be able to drop the quality some so it won't take up a billion GB's of storage too. I have access to Adobe Premier, so once I get them on my hdd, I can edit them (cut out titles, menu's etc. leaving just the main movies), but I can't capture or import right from the dvd into premiere (but if you know how to do this please tell me!). I can use dvd shrink to copy the movie to my hdd, but then it's in a TS format, which seperates the audio and video, so I can't use it for anything else! I also have the full version of Nero (I believe it's 6.x.x), but I haven't seen anything in there that could help me.

I've checked online for some free programs (including bleepingcomputer.com), but didn't find anything. Well, I didn't see anything that jumped out at me and screamed "hey nooblet, this is the program you need!".

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. As you well know, computers will run 200% faster when listening to AC/DC. Really, they will. It has to be true, I read it on the internet.

Thanks in advance for any help!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

Hi Steve.
I can tell you a really fast, easy way to do this without conversion but it's illegal and bound to be against the aup policy here. :thumbsup:
So, here's something else you can do with the software you have.
When you use shrink to reduce the movie to main movie files only, it uses the c:\windows\temp folder as a dumping ground. (or whatever you have it set to).
Within that folder are the main ts files, an ifo and maybe a few more.
These "ts" files are not seperated audio\video as you will see when you get there.
If you have the full version of nero, then you have "NeroVision" and Nero Showtime.
Open Nerovision and use the "make movie" function.
Click the "browse for media" function, (lower left button), navigate to the folder with the ts files.
Add the ts files only (leave everything else out as nerovision will create the new ifo itself)and make sure they are listed in numerical order as you add them. (i.e. ts_01, ts_02, etc.)
once the files are imported and listed numericly, click the "next" button.
When you are prompted wether or not to combine these files as one, click "yes". If you don't combine them then the movie will be broken into pieces.
The next couple of steps are no brainers but the second to last step you will see an image of a remote control. Use it to preview the movie before you save it to disk.
Once complete, you can use Nero Showtime to view.

Edited by HitSquad, 10 April 2006 - 09:41 AM.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

Great info, thanks!!!

Now, once I change them to a movie using nero, can I edit them in Adobe Premiere Pro? Basically, I want to cut the title menu out of the AC/DC video so when I open it, it starts playing automatically. I also want to use Premiere to reduce the file size of the it so it won't suck up my whole hdd space (although I have a 200gb internal hdd and a 160gb external hdd). Or does nero have someplace I can do this with?

Also, with the Family Guy movies, will nero copy over the menus too? So that I'll be able to select which episode I wan't to watch?

Again, thanks a lot HitSquad!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

Now, once I change them to a movie using nero, can I edit them in Adobe Premiere Pro?

I've never used it but not likely.

I want to cut the title menu out of the AC/DC video so when I open it, it starts playing automatically.

That's were editing in shrink comes in, follow me?

I also want to use Premiere to reduce the file size of the it so it won't suck up my whole hdd space

Shrink limits max movie file size to 4gb using default compression settings. No movie will be larger then that unless you manually change it within the shrink interface.

Also, with the Family Guy movies, will nero copy over the menus too? So that I'll be able to select which episode I wan't to watch?

Use shrink to seperate the individual episodes, editing is up to you.
In this case, you would be making individual seperate autoplay movies in Nerovision. follow?
In any case steve, even though you own these movies, we are walking a very fine line here.
The method im giving you is with legit software (nero & shrink only) but ........................
All I can say is just practice. It may seem a little complicated but it's really very simple.

Edited by HitSquad, 10 April 2006 - 10:31 AM.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:13 PM

That's were editing in shrink comes in, follow me?

Got it :thumbsup:

Use shrink to seperate the individual episodes, editing is up to you.
In this case, you would be making individual seperate autoplay movies in Nerovision. follow?

I think I get this part......I'll play with it and figure it out :flowers:

In any case steve, even though you own these movies, we are walking a very fine line here.

Hmmm...I should think that because I own the movies that I can put them on my computer in order to save wear and tear on the originals. I don't use P2P software, so there's no risk of sharing them, although I'm sure that there's some little catch 22 in the copyright infringement laws about what I'm doing. I'll send an email from jail if I'm wrong :trumpet:

Thanks for your help HitSquad!!!
Posted Image

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

I'll send an email from jail if I'm wrong

:thumbsup:
That's too funny.
Leaving town for a couple days on business. Heading out to Denver so you can mail me there. :flowers:
Have fun!

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:15 AM

Dear HitSquad,

How are you? Things are tough here in the joint. Now that I've sent you a letter from prison, the warden thinks that I'm associated with the mob because of your name. My roomate "Big Bubba" (who is 6'7", 350lbs) tells me I'm pretty. He calls me "Stephanie almighty". Says he's gonna make me his.......never mind. Just know that he scares me.

So, I guess that you were right about that being possibly illegal.

I have to go. Time for lights out. Big Bubba talks in his sleep and keeps me up at night. Last night I heard him mumbling something about me in a dress.

Talk to you in 8-10 years. Maybe 5 with good behavior.

Stevealmighty
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users