Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F key depressing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MML

MML

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Well, depressing itself without my touching it.

My laptop (you guessed it:  Compaq Hewlett Packard Presario CQ62 Notebook, running Windows 7)  has recently started doing something rather odd: I'll simply be typing or will leave my computer idle and suddenly the f key will depress.  My screen will literally fill with f's, be it in a password field, on a word document, or in the URL entry port of my browser.  I can provide screencaps off this if need be.

It's worth noting that the original keyboard for my laptop has been basically non-functional for quite awhile and I use a secondary keyboard plugged into my computer.

I've run a few diagnostic scans and can't find any rootkit activity, but it's enough to make me wonder if my keyboard pluggin is malfunctioning or if it is indeed an invader/hack/rootkit.  Advice and help, please?

Edited by MML, 07 May 2013 - 11:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robybel

Robybel

Bleepin' Mattley

• Malware Response Team
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hi MML ;)

I do not think that your problem is related to malware, rather it is a technical problem, linked to a malfunction of your keyboard.
I think you need to run checks on your keyboard, just below the f key, you may find something that creates faulty contacts.

Please let me know in your next reply if you have done this check.

- Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom -

Member of ASAP and UNITE

Please Only Copy And Paste Reports Into Topic - Do Not Attach

If you are satisfied with the help that you have received, please consider a donation btndonatesmr.gif

#3 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

Thank you so much! 

I did indeed, and It turns out I needed to replace at least part of my keyboard due to age/wear.

Thank you so much for your help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users