Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent connectivity.....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skorbee

skorbee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Wow, today I had problems. :-(

But then I thought I solved the problems! :-)

But now, four hours later, the problems have returned. :-(

OK, about 10 hours ago, I started losing bits & pieces of my Internet connection. It started with a certain financial website that I access everyday. In the past, the only times I have had problems with the site is for one of two reasons: on my end (virus), or on their end (their site needs fixing). Here's that site: http://www.otcbb.com/asp/quote_module.asp?qm_page=1453&symbol=CMGR

Then, a little later on, I started to have trouble with a couple of silly Facebook online games (Stormfall, Pirates, etc.). The interactivity lessened and then the sites told me I had to refresh (or empty the browser cache). And so I did ......and nothing happened. I lost all access.

Then I downloaded and ran Avast! I also ran Malwarebytes. The later found zero, while the former apparently found 4 threats. However, upon dispatching the threats, the problem persisted. 

Then comes the nightmare scenario....

I ended up calling my service provider: AT&T U-verse. WHAT .....A ........JOKE!!!!! After I explained to the guy my problem, he tried to tell me that what was wrong with my Internet connection was not covered under the contract with AT&T. Meaning, he could fix it from his end, but it would cost a whole new contract of $15 a month! I'm sorry, but that's just extortion and it's wrong. I told the guy that if AT&T cannot provide Internet to this line, that it was AT&T who owed us money and not the other way around. Then I hung up. 

Long story short, the AT&T guy tried saying the problem was one of "configuration".

Anyway, I was determined to solve this alleged "configuration" problem on my own. 

I did something I've never done before. I enacted  a "system restore" thingy back to April 18th (I wanted to be very sure). I normally would have used "Combofix", but it's not yet available for Windows 8.

After a couple of botched tries (apparently, I had to first switch off Avast! before the system restore could happen), it went through. And do you know what? The problem went away!  :lol:

That is, the problem went away .......for four hours!  :o

The problem is back. What do I do?

My browser is "CoolNovo". I've been using it for 3 months, ever since I realized that Windows 8 and Firefox don't get along.

Windows 8 is what I'm using. 

It's a Gateway computer, only 3 months old.

Any suggestions? 

Thank you!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skorbee

skorbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Mods, could you please change the thread title to "partial connectivity"? As I think more about the problem, "partial" is a much more accurate term than "intermittent". 

Thank You!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users