Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop display black after pressing certain keystroke.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 silim

silim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yesterday, on my Lenovo G570 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1), I pressed [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [F4], which is a command for a screenshot program I use. I forget this program's name but I've used it hundreds of times before with no problem. Only this time, as soon as I pressed these keys, my display went black. Nothing I could do, including replicating those keystrokes, could make my screen turn back on.

I turned off my laptop manually using the power button and started it back up. The screen displayed all the usual stuff during startup including the "Starting Windows" phase, but immediately after/during that, when it should go to the login screen, the display simply goes black again. I'm able to start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking, but not normally. System Restore points are not available.

Please help, what should I do? I need my laptop for a presentation at work tomorrow and I don't want to look like an idiot in front of the company president. Keep your advice simple, I'm no tech wiz, and remember my options are limited in Safe Mode.

:wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Hi

After booting to safemode uninstall the display driver and reboot the system. See if it helps you.

I guess you have an Intel onboard VGA. Go to 'Control Panel-->Programs' and uninstall either 'Intel HD graphics' or 'Intel graphics Media accelerator'. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 May 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

AMD Graphics Driver (ATI Robson XT)(Muxless) for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Lenovo G470 and G570

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users