Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Was infected, now clean but problems still reside

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 mmayo01

mmayo01

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hello,

I have been having problems for about a week and I will try to summarize.

Computer:

-Self Built

-Windows 7 Ultimate x64

-Intel i7

-12GB Ram

-Windows resides on its own SSD ~ 64 GB

-(2) 6.0gb/s 2TB SATA drives - Applications & Media

First I got a notification about a week ago telling me my C drive was critically low. I had about 4 MB left of space. Turned out I needed to clean out my Downloads folder on my C drive and that freed up about 20+ GB.

No problems for about a day

Tried to download a very large file from the internet ~ 34GB (My download location for this download was specifically set to a different drive)

During the download the application could not store anymore temporary files on my C drive because it was full again.

Nothing was in my Downloads folder (C Drive) so upon some deep digging I located a folder under:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

This folder was the culprit. It was filled with about 1.5 million files of various sizes, most were only 1KB, but no large files. The total space was about 25GB which was why my C drive was full again

I was not aware I had an infection but thought it was odd that that deep of a folder was gaining data, especially since I don't even use Internet Explorer.

After deletion of the files inside the folder I ran some scans. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and I've downloaded Malwarebytes.

Both came back with traces of infection, some were backdoors, some were trojans. I quarantined, then deleted those files and everything seemed to be working fine except the previous folder mentioned is still filling up with data and after several scans my computer is not finding anything.

I ran some other tests (Including Combofix....whoops) and found myself getting bootloops (Windows would boot but immediately Blue Screen) however I was able to log on as a different user and could work the computer fine. I then obtained a copy of a windows 7 Ultimate so I could boot up and try to repair the issue. It said there was an error in Windows Recovery, automatically fixed it then booted up.

I am currently on my main User account (No blue screen yet, been on about 15 min) however my Outlook now just goes to "Not Responding" when I try to open it, so there is definitely still something wrong on my machine.

Like I said if it comes to a reformat and reinstallation of windows it isn't the end of the world because my Windows is on its own drive.

My next independant step would be a reformat and reinstallation, but I really don't want to have to reinstall all of my drivers and re-link all of the paths to my application installations.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

mmayo01, you have posted about the same issue here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493894/cleaned-infection-problems-still-exist/ in Am I Infected.

There is a reply in that topic. In order to avoid conflicts and confusion this topic is closed. Please continue any discussion of your issue in the other topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users