Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Syrupy smell...what to do?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Screen Lover

Blue Screen Lover

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Okay guys, this is my FIRST post on this forum, excuse me if this is in the wrong subsection.

Last night I was unlocking my computer to do my Spanish homework. Upon login, a blue screen of death fell upon my screen stating...

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Blah blah blah blah Drivers blah blah blah blah Windows Update blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

STOP: 0x0000007A

Dumping memory blah blah blah blah

Contact technical support group blah blah blah blah

So then my computer restarted after the memory dump.

Lo and behold, guess what!!

All I saw was the cursor against a black screen, and pushing buttons on the keyboard brought a BIOS beep.

So I forced restart, and the same thing happened AGAIN.

Force a restart, and then turn it back on.

Computer says there is no valid operating system on my hard drive.

Now, after this incident I notice a strong smell of something sweet, like a Chinese soup dessert. (I am Chinese, I know what is smells like)

It is strongest from the air vent on the side, and extends down that side and disappears around a slot for a networking card.

I am at a loss for what to do. My father is rebuilding the OS for me, but the strong smell concerns me.

System Specs...

Processor: Intel Celeron M 723 @ 1.20 GHZ

RAM: 2GB 

System Type: Laptop

Mfg: Lenovo

Make: x200S

The only things running at the time of the incident was Microsoft Office Word 2010 Pro and two tabs of Google Chrome.

Thanks for any input!!

Edited by Blue Screen Lover, 07 May 2013 - 04:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hello Blue Screen Lover and welcome to the Bleeping Computer forum board.

On a comic note, do you really love blue screens?

Often when strange smells emit out of electronic devices it is caused by the 'breaking in' of the enamel on the parts that are coated with it. Sometimes power transformers will emit this smell when they are going through the 'break in' period.

This can also be a result of a component that has reached the heat limit threshold and this can emit a smell and can cause a system memory dump to occur.

My suggestion to you is to investigate if your cooler inside your laptop has adequate air flow through the fins provided so the heat from your CPU is efficiently being passed out into the air outside the laptop.

The easiest way to do this is with a can of compressed air that is sold primarily for cleaning out electronic devices of air born dust and lint.

If your system is capable of booting up to re-install your OS, I believe we can safely say your system is Okay, but heat build up may have been the factor here and is the first course of action I would start with.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 May 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Blue Screen Lover

Blue Screen Lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Yes, I do really love BSODS, but not in this case where it has killed windows.

My computer is capable of booting, but says HDD has no os on it. My dad was able to boot Ubuntu on it via USB, he's working on fixing it.

On a side note i am in sixth grade. teehee

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

On a side note i am in sixth grade. teehee

I never would have known because your choice of words shows much maturity.  :thumbup2:

I wish you luck and I am sure your Dad is going to save your computer. I would suggest your Dad makes sure that adequate air flow is getting into and out of the CPU cooler area.

Please keep us updated with the progress and if you need any advice or suggestions, please let us know, we'll always be here when you need us.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Blue Screen Lover

Blue Screen Lover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Well I'm back to the good ol' Celeron M 723, my computer is fixed!!

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Glad to hear it!!! :)

Happy computing!

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users