Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building my second computer for my workplace, will these parts work together?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 banjomin

banjomin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

I am pretty inexperienced and have been tasked with ordering parts and putting together a few computers for our new pharmacy computer system.  The requirements are an intel i3 or equivalent minimum, 4gb RAM, and windows 7 professional.

What I'm most concerned about is that I've picked a micro form motherboard, and whether the power supply is sufficient.

Parts information:

AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU+GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7480D AD5300OKHJBOX

ADATA XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GC4G9-2G

MSI H61M-E33/W8 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

COOLER MASTER Extreme 2 RS-525-PCAR 525W ATX 12V V2.3 Power Supply

NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black "Aluminum Brush/Plastic" ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Junk power supply.  You also have an AMD CPU paired with an Intel board, and that won't fly.  Either go Intel or AMD.  Nothing wrong with a Micro ATX board in this case.

You also won't need a separate video card for a POS (point of sale) or data system.  The integrated/onboard will work well enough.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 banjomin

banjomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

thanks so much for the help

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

You can use the basic layout of that PC you've started in the OP, but make some modifications.  I assume this is going to be an office computer that isn't doing really intense computational work.

Case:  SilverStone Sugo Series SG02B-F-USB3.0 - This is a small case, perfect for keeping a desk area tidy.  Just make sure you don't block the air vents.  $74

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-F2A85XM-HD3 FM2 AMD A85X - This can handle the latest FM2 APU's.  $74

Power Supply:  CORSAIR CX600M 600W - You could easily go with a lower wattage, but, due to the case size, try to get a modular PSU.  $79

CPU/APU:  AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz - This is a little more powerful than what you have.  Like all AMD APU's, this one has a very good graphics core in it.  Computationally, it isn't high-end, it's actually at the low end of APU's, but for generic office work, it should be enough.  $69

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This is a single stick of DDR3-1333 RAM.  Because your motherboard will take two of these, one should be enough for now, but you can upgrade to a second stick later on.  $31

Hard Drive:  Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB - If you aren't storing lots of data on the machine, this should be sufficient.  Otherwise, you will need a standard platter-based hard drive.  $109

Optical Drive:  ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - A basic one is all you need.  $18

Operating System:  Windows 8 Professional 64-bit - A copy of Windows 7 Pro costs about the same as this.  Windows 8 does have the scheduler fix built in.  This fix was intended to help FX-based CPU performance of which the Trinity APU's are a part of.  Windows 7 has it only as a hotfix.  The start screen is a little jarring, but you can live almost exclusively on the desktop.  $139

Grand Total:  $599

3939.png

#5 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hello, buying your parts indepedently and putting them together is an excellent way to save money. That being said, I noticed you paired an AMD CPU with an Intel MOBO (But requested an i3 [or similar] CPU) In your original post and have some info i'd like to pass along.

I would highly suggest reading some material on proper computer assembly technique, and watching some people build machines online if this is only the 1st or 2nd time you've built a computer. Now-a-days, since CPU's can be attached to mobo's with the push of a clip its much easier for the shade-tree technician to build their own machine but mistakes can be made and they CAN be costly, especially working in a situation where you have a budget and allocate your parts only to have ESD fry two of your components as you insert them into the tower.

Familiarize yourself with Electro-Static-Discharge and how to eliminate it as much as possible from your work environment and what tools will help you do this.

If these are being purchased for an office, though, Dell usually gives good enough discounts (especially when buying more than one PC AND you appear to be a small business owner [another plus]) you'd be hard up to find a better deal sealed, signed and shipped to your door not to mention the warranty they include on their machines is very good.

Edited by drwmbt, 08 May 2013 - 10:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users