Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error System Restore.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fluffyfluf

fluffyfluf

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hello,

Since today I had some problems with my sound. I could hear myself about 5 times when I talked to friends.

Next to that there were some issues with my HDD. These errors have been resolved by typing ''chkdsk /R'' in CMD, Although it took 5 hours to complete.

But after that I still had the sound issues.

So I decided to activate System Restore. Everything went well at the start of System Restore.

It rebooted my system, initializes System Restore but after 30 seconds it says the following: ''System Restore is complete''. No way that can be done within 30 seconds.

So I waited for the system to bring me back on my desktop and there I saw the following message: ''System Restore has not been completed on C: It could missing files or the drive is damaged. Try chkdsk /R to check for problems''.

The following error code has been written: 0x81000204.

I am still afraid that there is something seriously wrong with the hardware of my system.

I do hope I have informed you well about this issue.

Best regards,

Fluffyfluf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Hi

By reading the problem description you posted i strongly doubt your HDD is failed. Running check disk won't fix physical errors on the disc. It's just a tool to fix file system corruption. Taking 5 hour to complete checkdisk is another indication of a failinh HDD.

Proper way to test HDD is to run manufacturer's diagnostic tools. Please post a full spec of you system (Motherboard , CPU, HDD , RAM etc ). 

Download 'Seatools for DOS' from http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Burn the ISO to CD using 'burn image to disc' option.  If you are unsure read this guide :  http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201431en

Boot from the CD and run a full long test. If your HDD is a Seagate one it may offer to repair the bad sectors. Please choose skip instead. Post the result of scanning in next post.

#3 fluffyfluf

fluffyfluf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hello,

May it also be burned on a disc called ''DVD+R''? I have a CD that is max 700 MB. Not enough to burn all the files on it.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hi

"Seatools for DOS" is a small file. It only a few MB in size (Exactly 8.5 MB) . A CD is more than enough. You can burn it to the DVD+R if you prefer. What you need to do is to run a 'Long test".

Some Laptops came with a built in self test function. Please post the model and service tag details in next post.

Here is a video tut for Seatool :

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 08 May 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#5 fluffyfluf

fluffyfluf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:41 AM

Hello,

I have completed the long test, but I do not know where to find the log.

I have read the instructions, but I still do not know how to find them.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

Hi

Is it displayed "Errors detected" in the "Test results" tab ?. What message it displayed at the end of the long test ? (Passed or Failed )

You still didn't give us the Model number and Service tag of your laptop. Without knowing that we can't run OEM diagnostics tools.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 09 May 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#7 fluffyfluf

fluffyfluf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hello,

All messages were passed.

It is a OEM computer and not a laptop.

Let me know if you need further information.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hi

If seatools certified your HDD as PASSED, probably your HDD will be in good shape.

Yes, i need more info about the system. Which is the brand (HP, DEll ?) and what is the model number ?

If the system is a HP make, usually you can start the system diagnostic by pressing F2 during power on. In some model pressing 'Esc' during power on will bring the startup menu and from there you will be able to start system diagnostics.

In case of Dell, it is usually the F12 key witch brings the startup menu.

If we can run the OEM diagnostic, we can conform your HDD and RAM are in good condition. If the HDD and RAM are good, then the only possibility of a failed 'System Recover'y is a corrupted recovery partition. If that is the case things will get worse. You may need to order a recovery disc from the manufacturer. 

#9 fluffyfluf

fluffyfluf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hello,

It is a self-build computer build by a specialized compagny in the north of the Netherlands.

I do believe that will make this case a bit harder.

Do you want to know what kind of hardware is placed in my system? Just let me know if you need further information.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hi

SO it is an assembled PC, right ?. I mistakenly thought it is a branded PC which came with pre-installed OEM  Windows 8.If it is self built you will have the Windows 8 installation DVD with you (Retail DVD). Do you have one ?

Also post the spec of your PC (Model number of your  Motherboard, CPU and HDD or SSD). If it is an SSD, testing with Seatool won't reveal the problems. 

Our next step is to try to repair the Win 8 with the Installation DVD. So far my conclusion is somehow your C drive NTFS file system got corrupted (probably due to an improper shutdown or sudden power failure). Since the file system is damaged, system restore is unable to complete the restore process.

Win 8 do have some nice repair options like "refresh" and "reset" but you may loss all non metro apps after doing refresh. We may need to reinstall them so installation CD and activation number for non metro apps are necessary.

Waiting for your reply.

#11 fluffyfluf

fluffyfluf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hello,

It is an assambled PC, that is correct.

My apologize I was not very clear about that in the beginning.

Here are some PC specifications:

Core: I5

RAM: 8GB

HDD: 1TB

Video card: NVIDIA GTX 650 (1GB)

Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-MLE

Also I do have the installation disc of Windows 8.

If you need any further any information, let me know.

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Hi

Boot from the installation DVD and try the "refresh" or "reset" option. You may loss all the desktop apps but all data will be preserved if you choose 'Refresh" option. "Reset" is like formatting. It will wipe out the OS drive. Read the below guides to know how to do a "refresh" operation.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2293-refresh-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2302-reset-windows-8-a.html

#13 fluffyfluf

fluffyfluf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

Hello,

I have done a complete reset of Windows 8.

I had also some issues with my sound, but that has been resolved now.

I will check back to you soon if everything is still working correct.

I really appreciate your great and quik help to solve this issue.

#14 fluffyfluf

fluffyfluf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hello,

All problems have been resolved.

Thanks a lot.

You may now close this topic.