Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone assure me of Microsoft phone calls?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 feellikehomer

feellikehomer

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

A friend of mine is at this moment telling me that Microsoft are on the phone to her saying that her computer has been hacked by a person with a Russian ip address and the FBI have been in the background of her computer all day watching what they have been up to.

Can someone tell me this isn't Microsoft.  She's in the USA in in the UK.

PLEASE reply asap.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi,
this is fake.

They will show her errors in the event manager and tell her it is due to the virus and ask her to pay to fix it. She should not let them get access to her machine. If they ask for remote access, make her decline.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 feellikehomer

feellikehomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

thank you. Shame of it all is she has told me they showed the errors but she has paid as far as i know for three years protection against it happening again. like the signature by the way and they do appear to have control of her computer already

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi,

that is unfortunate, really. Have her read this, maybe it'll help: http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

I'll ask some of our people to look into this, I don't know if there's anything you can do to undo this.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 feellikehomer

feellikehomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

I will thank you.  I have some info but not everything.  I look forward to any further info about things on here.   I've just skyped her telling her what you have said but she's not replying.  You guys helped me a few years back so I will be giving her this site.  Think she may need you guys.  And once again thanks

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Have her call her credit card company and dispute the charges stating it was a scam. They will cancel it.

#7 feellikehomer

feellikehomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks guys.  I have copied our conversation and emailed it too her so she has the info.  I will get her to contact you herself, as I know how awesome you all are. :)

She has contacted the relevant credit card people and is going to get in touch with Microsoft AND report it to FTC

(Federal Trade Commission).

Paypal is putting them on fraud alert too.

:)

Edited by feellikehomer, 07 May 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

You should also tell your friend that Microsoft has no way of knowing if a system has been hacked or is infected or whatever dire thing the people calling come up with.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I recently got about 5 of these phone calls in a two week or so period. The first 4 I just yelled at them B*LLSPIT! I know this is a scam, don't call back! & hung up. The last time I played with "Michael" (extreme Indian accent) from "Microsoft" and let him go thru the sales pitch, what they wanted to do (install some remote access program) and scan my system for "errors"...I played along for about 2-3 minutes then asked "Does it matter that my computer is a Mac?"--it's not-- and "Michael"  hung up. :devil: :P

Edited by Union_Thug, 07 May 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#10 kingtron

kingtron

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

Microsoft would never call anybody about their computer or know if a virus has infected it. The call your friend got was a scam and she should have hung up right away. 

#11 kingtron

kingtron

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

By the way, did she report the call to http://www.callercenter.com and the FTC? It's important that she does to shut the scam down. That scammer could be calling several others, too, and her post can be very helpful in raising a warning that such calls are still going around.

Edited by kingtron, 09 May 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#12 feellikehomer

feellikehomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thank you for the caller centre link.  I have passed it on to my friend.  She has reported it to the FTC, paypal and Microsoft so with this info to she should be able to cover another angle in closing these leaches down. These people just sounded so real to her.  I couldn't believe it myself when she let them do it.  BUT that's how "clever" these people are and how they are changing their tactics.  Many thanks for all your support .

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I would also consider the following but someone else please chime in on my idea as I have haven't seen the effect of such a program yet; however, I'd be concerned about uninstalling anything that company installed and or tidbits left over even if the credit card payment has been received received and the company

--- Run programs to completely clean out that computer 

or

Or acquire the system recovery discs from the manufacturer so a full re-install back to factory condition can be done. I know you can create discs to do that but I don't think I would trust anything that's been done on the system

Consider wiping the hard drive clean; better yet, replace it

For the much more experienced people more than me, if I'm being an alarmist for nothing I just need to know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users