Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions on Network Safety After a Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 debandjonw1

debandjonw1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

I'm not an IT person but I do have average to above average computer/virus knowledge... :) 

I had a nasty virus on my laptop (isearch.fantastigames.com-) and after days of trying to remove it I ended up having to reformat. This virus hijacked my IE and I couldnt get rid of it,,, ***I can't reformat desktop because its a WORK COMPUTER***

I also found out I had a trojan on my desktop too, but the desktop virus was virtually unnoticable by me and it removed by Microsoft online scan and no more issues (i think) --We had file share turned on so I'm sure the laptop passed it to the desktop or vice versa- and I have turned it off before I reformatted the laptop-- I changed the router password and I ran every scan imaginable on my desktop to make sure its clean and I think it is, but I'm not sure...

Both laptop and desktop seem clean and have all updates and I have Avast anti virus and Spybot and Malwarebytes that I ran on long scans and I ran ESET long scans on both and also PANDA online long scan--both showing nothing

My Compaq laptop and my Lenovo desktop (both Windows7) are on the home network along with a Nexxus tablet, an xbox360, and a wii --also my kid had an Android Smartphone and an iPod touch that he runs off the WiFi... (desktop is hard wired to router all others-wireless)

--the tablet and the phone have Avast too iPod doesnt its old......

---my router is a Westell 7500--admin password protected before clean install of laptop...

Sooo my questions are:

1. how do I make sure my computers are safe now after the virus??-- I do work, bank and shop online...

2. how do I make sure my network is safe too with all these devices on it ?? can these phones/tablets get viruses?? any info here is appreciated as I have only average knowledge of networks with all these different devices that access the internet--

3. can the virus/viruses still be on the router or can the router have been hijacked? How do I make sure my router is safe? any addional help/info help is appreciated here too...

Please help me takes the steps I need to take to secure my computers and my home network after these viruses :)  Again ***I can't reformat desktop because its a WORK COMPUTER***

I really appreciate your help-- you guys ROCK

Thanks so much for helping me :)

D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

Hi and :welcome: to BC debandjonw1

1. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/

2. The wireless network connection is the only vulnerable part in a home network since LAN connections needed to be physically connect on your access point or router in order to use and or make instrusion to confidential files/information. As stated on the #1 answer and link, updated protections softwares, firewall, antimalware for additional free protection and scanners that can work side by side with your antivirus (Ex. Free Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster), make sure to use the latest WPA2/WPA security encryption along with the router hardware built-in firewall. Smartphones or Tablets are no exceptions to viruses. There are usually free antiviruses available online specifically for Android OS users.

3. There was a headline posted on several site including this regarding several affected routers that needed to be extensively tested but does not mean its a critical or common issue as of now as long as you have followed the safer side of computer usage.

Tekken

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

If you use USB drives between work computers, home computers, and whom evers computer you can transferr an infection as well. Keeping your own system updated and secure as jhayz mentioned can stop the spread. As mentioned in the tutorial posted above.Your computers should all be set to install Windows updates automatically and make sure they are currently up to date. A severely outdated computer will not auto update correctly (Windows xp below Service pack 3, Vista below SP2, Windows 7 without SP1). Missing Java updates for internet explorer, chrome, and firefox will lead to Java exploit infection (unless you have Java removed completely). Missing flash player updates for Internet explorer, and firefox can leave them vulernable (chrome has flash built in and will update with the browser). If your antivirus does not have on-aceess or "live" protection run scans weekly to check for viruses.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 08 May 2013 - 02:48 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users