Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello all!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ratalla

ratalla

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hi ~ I am Raj Atalla from Madison, WI ~ joined the forum to learn more about modern computer systems and in need of some help ~ the first computer I programed in machine language had vacuum tubes in it! Once we got beyond Fortran I left all operating systems to my students.  Now I find myself in need of help from the younger generation again ~ so my son directed me here! Cheers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moylan GCCC

Moylan GCCC

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

So you knew life before the great AOL awakening? The previous land of the "black screens". BBS's, and the squeal of a modem.

#3 ratalla

ratalla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Yes indeed! Now a'days I can't keep up with the changes in the OS's ~ I shudder at the thought of having to adapt to something beyond the XP !

#4 Moylan GCCC

Moylan GCCC

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

That's one of the reasons I've put off learning about coding for so long. It seemed like a lot of effort to learn something that can become obsolete overnight. I'm starting to see the value in teaching myself now though. That's one of the reasons I'm here. 

I was on the corporate side for a long time, and built a fraud prevention department. I'm finding too many companies are relying on 3rd party vendors now to handle their fraud prevention, much of which was designed by people who only understand the tech side. I had the ability to translate between tech, compliance, legal, brokerage, corporate and criminal. Very few people knew much outside their own silo.

To get into a company's fraud prevention department now seems to require specific coding backgrounds (unfortunately I think they are focusing on too few silos here). Never the less, I'm going to teach myself enough to get passed the simple minded hiring personnel, so I can eventually show them how it really needs to be done.

I still feel like learning code is like painting your grass a brighter shade of green one blade at a time. 

Edited by Moylan GCCC, 07 May 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#5 ratalla

ratalla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

Or as an uncle of mine in the old country used to say "its like trying to find how much water there is in the ocean with a measuring cup!"

#6 Kingofyesyall

Kingofyesyall

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Just setup my account and just wanted to say hello to everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users