Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio problems after Lenovo T430 hard drive replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ww2b

ww2b

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hello,

I recently had my corrupted hard drive replaced, and while they reinstalled Windows 7 Professional for me, they didn't install some Lenovo drivers that I was used to (like a trackpad one that enabled two-finger scrolling).  Since I installed the Realtek Audio driver, I haven't had sound in certain applications.  The Windows startup and login sounds are fine, as is audio in Windows Media Player, but when I try to play a song in iTunes, the diamond showing the song's progress doesn't move and the play/pause/skip buttons don't work.  On Youtube, videos play fine, but there's no sound.  It's the same on other online streaming websites like CBS.

Occasionally, the sound will come back after startup and stay that way for up to a day, but it's never permanent.  At first, I thought this had something to do with reinstalling the Realtek driver.  I took my laptop to the IT guys at my college, and it seemed like they had fixed it after installing a package of Lenovo drivers, but the sound disappeared after a day or so.  Two days ago, I reinstalled the Realtek driver myself and the sound came back again for a day.  However, I tried doing it again today, with no luck.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Best,

Pearl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ww2b

ww2b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Looks like I fixed it for the time being.  Turned out to be separate problems.  To fix iTunes, I opened Quicktime preferences and under the audio tab, clicked "Select Audio Playback and Recording Devices" and selected the Realtek speakers.  The streaming video problem was possibly Chrome-exclusive.  I downloaded both Shockwave and Flash.  After installing Flash, sound worked fine on IE.  I then disabled the Shockwave plugin in Chrome, which apparently fixed the audio in Chrome.  I've seen people on the internet talking about problems following from there being multiple Flash plugin files in Chrome, but I only had one file.

#3 ww2b

ww2b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Well, never mind to that.  My sound stopped working again in Chrome, and nothing plays in iTunes as before.  In IE, Youtube have no sound and somehow videos loop the first two seconds over and over, which is bizarre.  I really don't know what's going on.  Please help!

#4 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Wow ww2b, that is quite an unusual problem you have there.. I really don't know the solution but just trying to help in any way I can, I came across this Audio Troubleshooter a few days ago from Microsoft, download and try this maybe, see what it has to say?...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-vista&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab3&v4h=winxptab1

Also, run windows update maybe.

Hulk_Tag.png

#5 ft5

ft5

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

Hi, i have had the same problem, the Microsoft High Defenition audio driver was the one that caused the problem. I installed the HD videodriver (in my case Intel hd Graphics 4000) from lenovo's homepage. After that the HD audiodriver change to Intel's driver.

Hope it can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users