Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyoz

jimmyoz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 16 November 2004 - 06:48 PM

What should I do before I install my SP2 disc?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:04 PM

:thumbsup: to BC jimmyoz

You might want to peruse this thread.

And also look through some of the other postings in the same section.

Feel free to pose any other questions you may have also.

regards
~Koan

Here

Edited by KoanYorel, 16 November 2004 - 07:09 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:01 PM

Here is what you should do to orepare for SP2.

1. Clean out your temp files in the temp folder.
2. Clean out your temporary internet files and cookies.
3. Defrag the hard drive.
4. Turn off your anti virus and firewall before downloading the service pack and installing it.
5. During the install you will be asked if you want to archive the files, do so. The archived file scan be deleted later if the service pack works. Having the archived files, will allow you to uninstall the service pack if you have any problems.
6. After the pc reboots, reboot a couple more times. This insures that when you start up every thing will start up with in a good time period.
7. After rebooting the extra times, turn your anti virus and firewall back on.
These steps will help insure that your download and install do not get corrupted. That is what causes allot of the bad installs of the service pack.

After about a week of running the service pack and you find that you do not need the back up files, here is the info on how to remove the archived files.
SP2 - Removing Archived/Backup Files:
If you selected "yes" and did a backup it should be listed in Add/Remove. If not, check here: Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version \Uninstall
If you no longer wish to uninstall SP1 you can remove those extra files, to do so: Set your folder options to show hidden files then go to: C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and delete it.
After uninstalling the folder go to Add or Remove, choose uninstall and it will fail and then the listing will be removed.
I have been running the service pack since it came out and before it was released when it was a beta package. I have not had any problems with it at all. As long as you follow the instructions I gave you should not have any problems with it.

Note that due to the threat of modern network aware worms you should turn on the XP firewall before disabling your firewall.

Also, those with spybot resident shield and teatimer should shut them off too.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 11:13 PM

Best thing to do is dont do it!

Its will do nothing but kill your IE browser. I am trying to get it off but when you do it makes all browser stop. You will have to live with your browser being half functional or not at all. I will end up doing a format.

Just a warning and a personal experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users