Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

500 GB WD My Passport External HDD failing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1. I few months ago I purchased a new 500 GB WD My Passport External HDD and had no problems with transfer speed or accessing files when I first plugged it in. I created a desktop shortcut to the drive and moved 50 or so GB's of files onto it. The transfer time was spot on with my other WD external and I was able to play the music and video files I moved there with no problem. After coming home from work the next day I booted up the computer and the shortcut had a question mark icon. When I browsed to the drive in Explorer I could access the drive, but only folders were stored on it with none of the mp3s other files appearing. I unplugged and plugged in the external, Windows detected it and all of the files were once again visible and playable. I moved all the files back onto my internal drive and ran Crystal Disk Info which displayed the following: 

335ch2b.jpg

Has anyone else had to unplug and plug in their external like this? Is it a feature, bug, or a soon to fail drive? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

For some reason I can't edit my post, but I wanted to share what I found out in case anyone else runs into this.

Western Digital drives apparently have a sleep timer installed. On my drive the default is 30 minutes. After 30 minutes the drive enters sleep mode and un-mounts itself. You can go to the WD website and download the drive utilities installer for your model, which will give you access to a few diagnostic tools and the ability to change the sleep timer settings. I changed it to never and have not had to unplug/plug in the drive since.

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the info Adagio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users