Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Factory Restore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Homerj24

Homerj24

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

I have a Compaq Presario CQ57-339WM that boots to a blue screen with some sort of a star burst at the top. I cannot enter safe mode or boot using last know configuration. All paths seem to lead me to the same screen. There is nothing on the machine of any value so I would be fine with a factory reset. However, when choosing the Repair PC option, it once again leads me to the same screen. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

Did your laptop came with a pre-installed OEM Windows ? . Here is the manual of your model : http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02786367.pdf

In page 89 it describes the recovery options.

1. Access Recovery Manager in either of the following ways:

● Select Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager.
– or –
● Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup
Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Then, press f11 while the “F11
(System Recovery)” message is displayed on the screen.
2. Click System Recovery in the Recovery Manager window.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

#3 Homerj24

Homerj24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Did your laptop came with a pre-installed OEM Windows ? . Here is the manual of your model : http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02786367.pdf

In page 89 it describes the recovery options.

1. Access Recovery Manager in either of the following ways:

● Select Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager.
– or –
● Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup
Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Then, press f11 while the “F11
(System Recovery)” message is displayed on the screen.
2. Click System Recovery in the Recovery Manager window.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

This is a friends laptop. I am assuming that it came with a pre-installed oem and recovery partition, but I cannot get far enough to be sure. 

I am not able to do option 1 from your instructions since I cannot load windows all the way. 

With the 2nd option it loads files, then loads windows and sits at the blue screen again. So I am not able to proceed to step 2.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi

So both your Win 7 installation and System recovery are producing "blue screen" when trying to boot. It means you got a hardware problem and most likely it is your RAM. Best way to test RAM is to swap it with a known good RAM . If you don't have one available from another working laptop, check if your laptop came with 2 RAM sticks. If yes, plug only one stick at a time. 

If you don't have more than one RAM stick, run built in self test option in the Laptop to test RAm and HDD.

To start System Diagnostics:
1. Turn on or restart the computer. While the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is
displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen, press esc. When the Startup Menu is displayed,
press f2.
2. Click the diagnostic test you want to run, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Run Start-up test , Run-in test , Hard disk test , and Memory test

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 07 May 2013 - 10:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users