Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Stuttering When Multitasking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rezfrog

rezfrog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I have been experiencing extreme stuttering recently (video, sound, etc) and I don't know what's going on.

Computer specs:

AMD 1090T

8GB DDR2-667

120GB SSD (primary)

500GB HDD (secondary)

1TB HDD (tertiary)

NVIDIA GTX 680 

I have run virus scans, checked my disk drives for errors / defragged them, done memory tests, cleaned and defragged my registry, updated all of my drivers, uninstalled unnecessary programs, etc and have absolutely no idea what is causing this. Everything has turned up normal or within expected parameters. I run a two monitor setup and notice the stuttering only when multitasking. It's especially noticeable when I'm playing video games and watching videos at the same time. This problem only began about two weeks ago and it's driving me crazy. Restarting my computer seems to fix it for a short time, but it always starts up again after half an hour or so.

Can anyone here help me out? I'm clueless and it's really starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks!

Edited by rezfrog, 06 May 2013 - 08:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hi

It is hard to say what is causing the lagging  in your system. Your system configuration is good to run the programs. Are you sure you are able to watch videos and play games in the same time in two weeks ago ?. 

Please do the following steps and note any performance difference.

1 ) Clean the dusts.

Since the problem appears after 30 minutes i suspect a heating issue. Remove the side cover and use a vacuum cleaner and canned air to clean inside the PC . Clean thoroughly the CPU and Graphic card heat sink fins.

2 ) Verify all the system fans are working properly. That is CPU fan , Graphics card fan , system case fans and the fan inside SMPS.

3) Uninstall any recently installed Windows updates to verify if one of them is causing the issue. You can re install it later if none of them are the cause.

4) Update Mother BIOS and Graphics card BIOS (If available ) 

#3 rezfrog

rezfrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for your response. 

Yes, I started to notice these problems a little over two weeks ago. I'm an avid EVE online player and I usually play in windowed mode while I browse the net / watch videos on my second monitor. I can't think of anything that may have changed right before this all started.

I'm wondering if a failing HDD can cause these problems? I experienced the stuttering again today when I was downloading a game on Steam and watching a youtube video, so that made me think that it could be related to a bad HDD. 

I'll give all of those things a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Edited by rezfrog, 07 May 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi

Like i said earlier it is hard to say what is causing the lagging. We can check other components after cleaning the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users