Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup repair help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tec610

Tec610

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

My computer is acting strange. I own a Sony Vaio laptop, and whenever I try to start it, it automatically goes to startup repair. I let it run for a few hours, when it told me it couldn't fix it automatically. I installed a driver for my graphics card a few weeks ago and I think that may be the cause, because I looked through the diagnostics of the startup repair and it said something about a driver. I tried some different things, but nothing worked. Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Tec610

Tec610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

No, I can't boot at all

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Hi

Can you remember any specific reason for the issue ?. (recent installation of a software, Windows update or symptoms of a malware attack)

#5 Tec610

Tec610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

Yes, like I said, I had installed a driver for my graphics card a few weeks ago, and I think that's why this is happening

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hi

Instead of running automatic system repair try a system restore in to a date prior to the graphics driver install. Read the below links if you are not sure about how to do it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Please post the model of this Vaio.

Since you can't boot at all you will need a installation disc do a System Restore.

You can download a free legal ISO copy at this website. 

You will need to burn this to a DVD so that you can boot from the disc.  To do this you will need a program which will burn the ISO file to the DVD, I'm going to suggest ImgBurn.  There is a good tutorial for using ImgBurn to make this disc, you can find it here.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second.  Once you have done this place the disc in the optical drive and reboot the computer to boot from the disc.

How to run Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer to start WinRE and open a command prompt.

The System Restore is one of the options in the System Recovery Options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Tec610

Tec610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thank you very much, but I already tried the system restore, my Vaio model number is pcg-71912l, and will the installation disc affect my personal files?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

No, I can't boot at all

If you can't open Windows, how did you do a System Restore?

#10 Tec610

Tec610
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Sorry, I may have misunderstood your question, but it leads me to the startup repair, and when that is done, I can go to "system recovery options" and system restore is an option

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Ok, I want to make sure that I understand the sequence of events.

When this first started the computer would load a black screen like the one below with the options to Launch Startup Repair or Open Windows Normally, and you clicked on the Startup Repair and it ran.

startuprepair_zps2eebdfbb.png

Did you get a message stating the problem can't be automatically fixed?

If you did then there should have been message indicating what the problems was, do you know what was listed?

You state that after the Startup Repair you can access the System Recovery Options, how are you accomplishing this, using F8 key at the start or with the installation disc?  If this was done by using the F8 key you reached the Advanced Boot Options, if this is the case you should be able to boot into Safe Mode.  You should see a screen similar to the one below.

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

Edited by dc3, 10 May 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#12 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

My guess would be that after start up repair fails, it gives the option to see other repair choices- recovering from a backup image, running memory diagnostics, system restore, factory recovery, or command line.  It sounds as though start up repair failed, so you tried a system restore, which did not complete or failed, and you are back to square one, only able to run startup repair due to a boot loop, or entering the recovery console.  Is that about right?  One thing you can do is to disable automatic restart after system failure.  That will hopefully produce an error code that can be used to deduce what kind of failure you are having.  To do that, just restart the system, and press F8 before Windows tries to load...keep pressing it until you see the options for safe mode etc, and scroll down to the option to disable automatic restart after system failure, and hit the enter key.  If you get a blue screen, post what it says.  Another option- since you believe it is related to your graphics card, have you tried removing the card from it's slot on the motherboard and booting with the onboard graphics adapter instead?  Just a thought.

Edited by Required Field, 10 May 2013 - 11:11 AM.

"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

One thing you can do is to disable automatic restart after system failure.

Tec610 posted previously that they can't boot into anything, it only offers the two options.  If you can't boot into Windows you can't see at BSOD.

I would suggest that we wait until tec610 answers my questions, we will have more information to go on with that.  If they can boot into Safe Mode with Networking there are a lot of diagnostic tools that can be used to determine what is causing this problem.  Just being able to boot into the Advanced Boot Options tells us a lot.

Edited by dc3, 10 May 2013 - 11:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users