Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring a System with 512b Sectors onto a HDD with 4Kb Sectors

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kpdonahue85

kpdonahue85

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi.  I have a Windows Vista system which I am trying to restore from a failing HDD, which is corrupt due to bad sectors.  I have made an image of the drive using ddrescue, and it seems that there were no errors on the restore partition.  I am thus hopeful that a system restore will succeed if I clone the ddrescue image onto a new drive.  This seems easier than trying to go in and rescue files individually, since the MFT on the Windows partition is bad and only shows a small portion of what is on the drive.

My problem is that the original drive had a 512b sector size, but the drive I would like to purchase has a 4Kb sector size (but with 512e support).  I have read about some ways to align the partitions correctly, but I couldn't find much about doing this from an image of a bad disk.  Can anyone tell me if I should be expecting extra difficulties when trying to perform a system restore in these circumstances?  Any recommendations as to which Linux utilities I might use to handle this would be appreciated as well.  I would like to boot my laptop from System Rescue CD, then copy the disk image from an external drive onto my new internal drive (somehow).

Thanks!

Note:  I would like to keep the discussion in this topic limited to issues with the sector sizes.  If you have anything to say about the data recovery aspect of this process, see my earlier topic here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users