Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Disable Video Playback

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1399

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:32 PM

*HELP* How do I STOP users on the computer from viewing video files (.mpg, .mpeg, .mov, etc...)? Are there any way at all to stop the computer from reading video files? There's NO USE in changing the Settings tabs of video players (Windows Media Players, RealOne Player, Nero Showtime, etc...) or even disable Windows's file types settings... simply bcoz these settings are not locked with passwords, and therefore can be easily altered by whoever.... plus it's hopeless to delete/remove these video players coz anyone can easily re-install them... There's already internet filtering and monitoring softwares installed on the computer... but these softwares does NOT disable video playback... any suggestions anyone? All help is deeply appreciated.... Thanx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

I think that the only way around this is if you have multiple user profiles on a machine. Make your name the only account with administrative permissions, and give it a password that only you know. You'll have to log off or set the screen saver when you're not right at the computer. Make the other accounts do not have administrative priviledges. Now, you'd have to find all the videos that you want others to not view and (this is the easiest way, assuming it works) put them all in one folder. Now, right click on the folder and click on Sharing and Security and a window will pop up. Now, click on the security tab and click on the guest (or other names of other users) and deny them everything, but make sure that your account has permissions to everything. This way, the only thing that they should be able to do is to look at the folder, but not even open it to see it's contents (which means that they can't access what's inside the folder to play/view it).

If this doesn't work, then I'm at a loss and hopefully someone else can help you! Let us know how you make out!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 1399

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:30 PM

Thanx so much for offering to help, Stevealmighty....

Yes... that's a good suggestion... BUT problem being these video files just adds up daily... they are downloaded through P2P (limewire, kazaa, etc...)... say today I found 20 video files and add them to the special folder, by tomorrow there'll be more new ones downloaded and played on the PC...

My internet filtering software does have the option of disabling P2P... problem there is it totally blocks all file types... What I need is to weed out the video files, not all files entirely...

And if I strictly have administrative privileges and the others don't, I'm only worried that I might inconvenient their work indirectly...

Quite difficult to find a solution AND a balance there...

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:41 AM

So, is this a work computer? If so, why are emplyees downloading videos at work? If it's a home computer, then same question?

The simplest fix to this is to uninstall any P2P software on the computer, and instruct whomever that they are not to download any P2P software.

And if I strictly have administrative privileges and the others don't, I'm only worried that I might inconvenient their work indirectly...

If you have admin rights, and they don't, they'll only be able to "not do" whatever you restrict them from. Everything else should function normaly.

Quite difficult to find a solution AND a balance there...

Agreed :thumbsup: Technology........gotta love it! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:30 AM

Hi 1399
Depending on how savy the user is, you can disable the individual apps you don't want them to use via the reg. As a result, the program will be useless and uninstalling and re-installing the software as a workaround will do them no good. however, a system retore would so you would want to remove all current restore points to eliminate that as an option for them.

If it interests you, see:

Restrict Users from Running Specific Applications

#6 1399

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

Oh Hi HitSquad....

Thanx for offering to help as well...

It is a very interesting thing you've just introduced me to... editing the registry... yes... I've heard of this before, but never really bothered to get in depth into what editing the registry could do... well, guess I qualify as an ignorant fool then... anyway, never too late to start learning... :thumbsup:

While I can think of many uses with changes to the registry, yet I feel it's still not the bull's eye solution for my problem... due to the very same explaination I've given stevealmighty... the fact that it is an easy solution to just block users entirely from utilizing certain programs, it will inevitably cause inconvenience when they actually needed that program for some other 'innocent' task... example: Windows Media Player... I can't just block the player entirely due to some perverts watching video files on it while there's many others who needs the player for the simple pleasure of listening to music files...

Ooh I have a question! What about this... instead of doing changes to the registry to block programs, is there a possible EDIT to the registry which can cripple the computer in reading video files alone? :flowers: Like completely not able to recognise/read file types like .mpg, .mpeg, .mov etc? Any magic chant that can be added to the registry to give that effect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users