Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't understand monitor specs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi, I'm currently shopping around for a new monitor for fast-moving flight simming but the monitor specs are puzzling me. Below are a typical set of specs.

I already know that a Response Time of 2 to 5 ms is an acceptable range, but what ranges should the other 4 specs fall into to be acceptable?

For example would a Brightness spec of anywhere between 250 to 350 be okay?     

Display Colors 16,7 Mio Colors
Brightness 300 cd/m² (typ.)

Contrast (typ.) 1000:1

X-Contrast (dyn.) 80,000:1
Response Time 5 ms (GTG)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

its all down to personal preference, I like a very contrasty picture so I like to have a higher contrast ratio, while others may like it a little lighter.

I have found that these are good specs to look for:

Colors: 16M+ (almost all)

Brightness: 250+ (though I just went from 300 to 250 and the new ones are a lot brighter seeming due to LED's and truer whites)

Contrast (dyn): Ignore this bleep it doesnt mean a thing

Contrast (typ): 1000:1+

Response time: 8ms (GTG) or lower

Let me explain the contrast, you will find monitors with contrast ratios rated at 10,000,000:1 (600:1) while initially it looks amazing the actual ratio is crappy, look for the highest actual/typical/real/in parentheses number you can, I saw a monitor rated at 15,000:1 (8000:1) this one would look 10 times better than the first one I mentioned. The big number is a light meter held to a white screen, then a black screen, the second is an actual checkerboard on screen so you know the difference between the whites and blacks.

Response time... the GTG means grey to grey (grey to white to grey) I have heard that 5 is the max, I have heard that 8 is the max, I play first person shooters and I use 8ms GTG monitors and they look phenomenal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users