Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beane316

beane316

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:32 PM

Ok, this has been happening for quite awhile. Let me try to sum it all up for you all. I have a DI-524 D-Link router. I got it about two weeks after I switched over to Cable Internet. I got the router to help me get online on my computer and get on my playstation 2 at the same time. Long story short, my router has seemingly decided to stop working. I'm wondering if my router is defective or if there's something I can do. Now, what it's doing...it lets me connect to the internet, but, my ethernet cable (cat5 or 6 I can't remember which) was seemingly defective because my router wouldn't acknowledge there being a plug inside of the port. I went and bought a new ethernet cable today (cat 5) and it still doesn't show up. The light stays on for the cord going to the modem. The status bar is blinking normal and everything like that, but it still acts like the cord isn't in the router. My WLAN led keeps blinking at the same rate as the status bar, and that confuses me too because I don't THINK it's supposed to do that...it just started to do this today, as I've been able to get online on the playstation 2 quite a few times. I assume maybe the router ports are defective? I'm not really for sure. I called D-Link today and all I got was someone who kept asking me over and over again if I reset my router or unplugged it, and despire telling them that I had done both several times, they didn't offer any further help. So, I ask of you all, is there anything I can do that I haven't already done or should I just take it back to Circuit City and get an exchange? Thanks a lot guys.

Edited by beane316, 09 April 2006 - 10:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

If you have an MDI/MDI-X button on your router may sure it is in the right position. MDI for normal operations and MDI-X if you add a hub or switch to the router.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 beane316

beane316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:57 PM

The only other thing I have is a tiny reset button and an antenna, unfortunately.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

The cable you purchased. Was it a crossover or a patch. The crossover cable maybe marked as such.

#5 beane316

beane316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:01 PM

Both cables that I have are patch.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

My WLAN led keeps blinking at the same rate as the status bar, and that confuses me too because I don't THINK it's supposed to do that...it just started to do this today

Does the statis light on your modem flash or is it steady? Can your computer see other things on the LAN? Try typing 192.168.100.1 in the address bar. This should bring you to you modem's statis page.
he following works if your modem is online.
Unplug everything. Modem, router, and devices and computers. Leave unplugged for one minute. It is important to unplug the power not just trun it off.
After one minute plug in and turn on the modem. When the statis light on the modem come on, plug in and turn on the router. After one minute plug in and turn on everything else.

#7 beane316

beane316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:42 PM

I just did everything you told me and it still doesn't work. :thumbsup:

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:10 AM

Can you see the LAN from your computer? Can you access that IP I gave you in that last POST? 192.168.100.1

#9 beane316

beane316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

Yea, everything is hooked up in the room I'm currently in now. That IP also worked for me, too.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:12 PM

When you use that IP does it show the staus of your modem? When you say you are in, does that mean you are on the internet?

#11 beane316

beane316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:31 PM

My cable modem, using that IP addy, says the status is operational, and all the other tasks before that are "Done" except for Initialize Baseline Privacy, which is said to be "Skipped." I'm on the internet as the router lets me get online, but the brand new cord, as well as the old cord, still doesn't get accepted by my router for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users