Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macintosh Performa 5200CD & StyleWriter 2400 (Port in Use)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hello guys, Im trying to resolve an issue for a friend with an older model Macintosh Performa 5200CD.

He says that when he tries to print he gets an error message stating that the port is in use, disable it to get printer to work (not word for word but thats pretty much the error)

I've looked into the troubleshooting part of the manual and i cant seem to figure out how if there is only one cable and its plugged directly into the printer if the port can be in use by something else

Heres a picture of the printers connector (mini-din 9) could it be a SCSI with a mini din connector?

20pyr6o.jpg

9jf03o.jpg

It seems that the modem also uses the Mini Din 9 connector if they are using the same controller and the modem is connected would it cause this error? Im stumped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Nope, it is not some form of a SCSI port. Both the printer and modem port are essentially a form of serial port.

You might try re-installing the OS. Which version of the Mac OS are you using? OS 7? OS 8? OS 9?

Beyond that, I am not really sure. It is has been a LONG, LONG time since I messed with pre-Mac OS X OS versions of the Mac OS.

#3 drwmbt

drwmbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Im going to go out on a limb and guess its the OEM Mac O/S 7.5.1.

I too have not been on a mac o/s earlier than X,

Well since, Apple IIe and the first "Macintosh" so my background with these machines is zero to nil.l

Does powering both units down and back on at the same time fix it, like in windows some times. or are there "search for new hardware" options in mac?

edit: meant to give you some bg the owner is an older-ish man who needs a computer/printer to write his memoirs on when he goes out for his vacations in country, I proactively commented that it seems like the machine should do atleast that im just wondering how much to expect out of this machine, now that i've done some due diligence on this machines history (one gb hard drive, 75mhz,) he may need something else.

Thanks for the input.

DRW

Edited by drwmbt, 08 May 2013 - 10:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users