Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot or repair

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 radsia

radsia

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:06 AM

Recently my computer has been lagging then freezing. So I snooped around on here and decided to clean my hardware. A few hours later it froze, I forced restarted it and now It won't boot up not can I do system repair. Everytime I get a message saying:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

Etc. the status is: 0xc00000e9

Did I knock something loose? Please help. I googled and could t find anything to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:24 AM

What did you do exactly when you were cleaning it?

Since you opened the case to clean it then that's a good place to start trouble shooting. Before you open it up again do a quick search for Avoiding static shock to components during a build. I've never fried a component, with static, but you should definitely know the risks and how to avoid them before you get in your case. Check all of your connections to make sure they are properly attached and we'll go from there.

#3 radsia

radsia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

All I did while cleaning was carefully spray the dust with an air can. Is the risk of static shock huge? I don't want to make the problem worse.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm guessing this is a desktop computer?

If so, just touch the metal of the case before you touch anything inside.

Just for a reference, you know that shock you get when you shuffle across a carpet in the winter and then get shocked when you touch a doorknob?  The threshold voltage to feel this pain is 2,000V.  It only takes 10V to kill a integrated circuit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 radsia

radsia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Ok, I finally worked up the courage to check, and nothing seemed loose. If I had fried so etching tho, maybe when I was cleaning, is this how it would act? Or if I sprayed the wrong place?

Edit: I unplugged my keyboard while it was starting up, I didn't get the error but, it still won't completely boot.

Edit 2: I did diagnostics.. Biohd-8 error, this means my hard drive died, doesn't it?

Edited by radsia, 06 May 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Hi

Did you try removing the RAM and re insert it again ? . Remove the ram and use 'isopropyl alcohol' to clean it's contact. Let the RAM dry and then re insert it. You can also use a clean pencil rubber to clean the contact (Very effective). After cleaning RAM disconnect and reconnect HDD SATA cable.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 07 May 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#7 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Edit 2: I did diagnostics.. Biohd-8 error, this means my hard drive died, doesn't it?

Are you referring to the F9 diagnostic option during boot up? Some HP users reported the same error and found that after installing sp41019.exe (An HP update to the hardware diagnostic tool) and re-running the diagnostic tool their hard drive was correctly reported to be healthy and not failing. It turns out HP's diagnostic tool was not functioning properly. Since you cannot boot testing this isn't an option. 

One of the major symptoms of a failing hard drive is the drive running very slowly. You mentioned in your first post that prior to not being able to boot, your computer was lagging and then freezing. Combined with the message "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer" it sounds like your hard drive may have failed. 

When you turn on your computer do you hear any noise coming from the HDD, such as excessive whirling or clicking? The easiest way to test a hard drive is to install it in a computer that you know is working. If that computer cannot access the drive then you know it's the drive having problems.

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 07 May 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#8 radsia

radsia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

I couldn't find the ram in my computer. It's an hp touchsmart 300. I was able to remove the hard drive and clean the visible plug.

As for the diagnostics, yes it was th F9 one, and no, other than the sudden slowness and freezing I had no indication the hard drive might be failing. No sounds or errors until the one now. I also don't have a spare computer to hook the drive up to.

Edited by radsia, 09 May 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

If you look on the hdd you will be able to see who the manufacturer is.  Once you know this you can go to their website and download their diagnostic tool.  They usually will have the option for a test which is burned to a disc which you can boot from, this will run the diagnostic without having to start Windows.

Edit: I unplugged my keyboard while it was starting up, I didn't get the error but, it still won't completely boot.

If you unplug the keyboard while the computer is going through the POST (Power On Self Test) it will cause it to fail and will not start Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

If you look on the hdd you will be able to see who the manufacturer is.  Once you know this you can go to their website and download their diagnostic tool.  They usually will have the option for a test which is burned to a disc which you can boot from, this will run the diagnostic without having to start Windows.

Thank you, that's really good to know! I've always had to swap out HDD's to check to see if they're working. This would be a lot easier.

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Hi AdagioBoognish

If you do a lot of computer repair, consider downloading "Ultimate Boot CD" (DOS edition). It came with a lot of DOS based tools including all manufacturer's HDD test tools.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Since the OP didn't know the exact model of his HDD, i suggest running "Seatools" and it works great with other manufacturer's HDD also. Smasung and WD have their own test tools, but unlike Seatools no ready made ISO is available. Downloading UBCD is the best option as it includes bootable version of Seatools, Samsung tools and WD lifeguard under one roof.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 11 May 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#12 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hi AdagioBoognish

If you do a lot of computer repair, consider downloading "Ultimate Boot CD" (DOS edition). It came with a lot of DOS based tools including all manufacturer's HDD test tools.

Thanks. I don't do a lot, but I troubleshoot for friends and coworkers at the moment. I'll definitely keep this handy.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Can you try the following?

Disconnect everything from your pc except what you necessarily need: monitor, mouse, keyboard & ethernet cable

Then try to start up in Safe Mode with networking

If it starts thats a good thing

Press Ctrl+Alt+S, wait a few seconds and the computers Model #, Product #, Serial #, Software build #, Service ID # & PC Brand will show up. Capture that screenshot and save it for future use and let us know the exact Model # 

It would be good for us to know the exact model in case we would like to search for troubleshooting tips

If you get an error message, please post the exact error message if it's different than the one in your first post

It sounds like your computer was already acting up before you cleaned it out

--- On the spray can you used, was it electronics grade? 

--- I have seen some people use standard spray cans in which moisture saturated the components

If you were having a hard drive problem, it probably just gave out and it could be incidental that the timing coincided with your cleaning out procedure but make sure to pay attention to the comments that have already been posted to ensure avoiding static

Are you familiar with the tools that been mentioned and checking the RAM?

How new is the computer? Is it under warranty? If it is use it especially if in fact hardware such as the hard drive is suspected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users