Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I require two passwords to access a wireless network?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jephph

jephph

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

I've got a guy who wants to double password protect his wifi.  I know that having strong encryption, and a long password with alpha-numeric and non-alpha-numeric characters would work better for him, but I'm not sure I can convince him of that.  Is there a way that I can require two passwords to get into a wireless network?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Is he trying to set up multiple profiles for his network? I've heard of people setting up two passwords on a router, the first offering full internet access and the second offering just VoIP Connectivity or something similar.

If he wants two passwords thinking that it would make his network more secure I can't think of why a manufacturer would include an option such as that. The idea of a password is to make it complex enough that someone will not be able to guess it, which can be accomplished with one password. Any technique that could crack one password could crack a second and any password that couldn't be guessed wouldn't require a second password to back it up. Unfortunately it sounds like you're going to have to educate him on wireless security a bit. Look into WPA-2 CCMP. I found this article informative ( http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3842146) and if you can make him understand the basics of it I'm sure you can convince him that it will be enough to secure his wireless network. Worst case you can tell him it's not possible and this is the best option for him.

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

There's no way of setting dual passwords for an essid. If he wants to protect himself, why doesn't he just seperate his network based on what subnets and vlans he wants?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

The closest thing I could think of on that end would be to shut off the SSID broadcast and set up a secure password.  While I am fairly sure someone could pick up the SSID somehow (sniffing packets or the like) it would add another hoop that the would be hacker has to jump through to get into the network, which is what a second password would do.  They would still have to setup a complex password if they wanted any real measure of security but it would probably give the guy a little extra peace of mind.  This is kinda like the Dr. giving someone a antibiotic for a viral infection, its really just to make them feel like they are doing something to help the problem but it is really not going to do anything for the "problem" they are complaining about.  

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

He could use WPA2 Enterprise with radius authentication if the router supports it. He would need to setup a radius server. If you have a Windows server with the IAS service installed the setup isnt to hard. There are open source and paid applications for desktop, but im not familiar with them.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users