Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could a new Sata 3 HD be causing my computer to shutdown rather than sleep?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pandigirl

pandigirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

I recently bought a new Seagate 1TB sata 3 hard drive to use as a secondary drive in my pc.  Prior to that i had a Western digital sata drive which i had no issues with.  Since installing the new hard drive my computer shuts itself down instead of just going to sleep.  I am using windows 7. (but have not installed windows on the secondary drive, just using it to store stuff). The other day after turning itself off it wouldn't turn back on. I tried a new power cord and it turned back on but was still shutting down instead of going to sleep. Then a couple of days later when I turned the computer on again it went to windows repair mode. Didn't repair it but said if i've installed something recently like a printer to uninstall it and restart. The only thing i've installed is the hard drive so I unplugged it and my pc started up as normal. And it goes to sleep now and doesn't turn off. So I can only think it has something to do with my new hard drive.

Does anyone have an ideas of what is causing it or what I can do to fix it? I'm thinking perhaps my motherboard isn't liking it because my motherboard is about 4 years old now and maybe cannot handle the sata 3 hard drive? But I really have no idea. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Without knowing the make and model number of the system in question makes it a tad bit difficult to provide an answer with certainly.

The drive could be bad or the BIOS has to be entered and hardware settings need to be set there for the drive to work correctly. Most of my answers will be guesses based on the fact that I can not use any decent trouble-shooting techniques unless I know what I am helping you trouble-shoot.

Once you provide the make and model number of either the computer or the motherboard I'll be able to assist you better.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users