Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dllhost.exe taking up an insane amount of ram.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pog12156

pog12156

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Every time i open up my videos folder dllhost.exe pops up in the processes in the task manager. The longer i leave it there without ending the process the more ram it uses and at one point, while i was not watching it, it rose to 8.5 gigs (screenshot). I've tried searching online for other people that have had the same error but i couldn't find anyone that was able to solve it.

heres a speccy screenshot if that helps http://speccy.piriform.com/results/B0PvYhBg0WBqatBNKcWYlUl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

When you just open video folder or when you actually play some videos?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 pog12156

pog12156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:28 AM

Just opening the videos folder. 

#4 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

8 GB's? That's crazy. How many movie files are in there and what type of file are they? I've read other posts where Windows 7 would crash users who were opening folders with lots of .mkv files inside. Apparently Windows explorer was trying to generate thumbnail images for all the movie files and used most of their memory trying to do so. I have no idea if it could leach up to 8 gigs of memory though. On the off chance that this is the problem though, try changing your folder options to "always display icons, never thumbnails" and see if that makes a difference. 

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

That should do.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 pog12156

pog12156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yea most of them are mkv files and turning off thumbnails did stop dllhost.exe from popping up although now my videos folder is just full of traffic cones (vlc media player's icon) haha. So is there anyway to get windows to show thumbnails without eating up all my ram or should i just leave it be. At least now i wont get the low memory error anymore :).

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

If you want thumbnails split those movies across several folders.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 pog12156

pog12156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

sorry for the late response but It didn't seem to work tho in the process i found the source of the problem. There's a single .mp4 video about 35 megs in size that crashes VLC and refused to be deleted. Its in my videos folder under C: and its the only file thats there, everything else is under F:. just opening the folder its located in causes dllhost.exe to rise so for the moment i just removed C:/videos from my library locations and that seems to solve the issue

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the update :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 sycross

sycross

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hi,

I just recently had the same problem where a single video was causing issues with dllhost.exe and I was having trouble deleting the video. The video that was causing problems was a duplicate video which was named "blahblah(1)"

Renaming the video fixed the problem for me.

Best,
Ray

#11 plaroche

plaroche

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

I ran into the issue where it was taking up 14GB of my 16GBs of RAM, it was only when Disk Check was running, as soon as I cancelled that it went away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users