Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make a computer Super Reliable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

I built my computer back in 2009, and have never had to take it to a repair shop, because I designed it to be reliable.

1) It has 4 HDDs, (3 SATA & 1 IDE), of which two are internal, (2 SATA drives), and the other two are in "Hot Swap Trays".

2) The "C" drive HDD is a SATA drive in a "Hot Swap Tray"; and I have a spare "C" drive in a "Hot Swap Tray" sitting on a shelf in the event of problems.

3) One of the internal SATA HDDs, has my "D" drive on it which is another identical boot partition which can be set as the boot drive by going into the bios and altering the sequence of the HDD priority.

4) The other internal SATA HDD has my "E" drive "Software" partition on it, because I prefer to install my software in a partition separate from the Windows partition, because 1) it is always the windows partition that gets screwed up with viruses and other problems, and 2) the machine runs faster if you are using two sets of read write heads silmultaneously, one to read Windows, and the other to read the program that you are running.

5) The other "Hot Swap Tray" has an IDE drive in it used for storage.

allhdds.jpg

6) I have a total of 17 HDDs both SATA and IDE in "Hot Swap Trays" which can be used to import data to my machine and if necessary restore any given partition from "Ghost Image Files". (If data has to be imported from a SATA drive, then I shut down, remove the "C" drive tray from its bay, then insert the data storage SATA drive in the bay, then boot from "D" drive). 

Further the machine has more fan power blowing air into the machine than it does blowing air out of the machine, so as to insure that any air leakage is air seeping out not in. This is because every fan blowing air into the machine has a custom made "Dust Filter" made from ladies nylon stocking material, so the machine always stays clean inside.

It's a 2.4 Gigahertz Intel Quadcore contraption, and so far it has worked pretty good.

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2013 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from System Building to Tips/Tricks - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

I prefer having a balanced intake/outtake system, to be honest with mine, air needs to be constantly moving to keep the heat going-I like it moving from front/bottom to rear/top. As long as its constantly moving, then your going to have adequate cooling. As far as the dust filters, nylon socks are a good idea. My case came with foam filters that need taken out and cleaned regularly, but are very effective.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

Somebody entered a responding post about HDDs saying you should buy one big enough to cover all your needs. I replied that I prefer to have several smaller HDDs as opposed to one huge one, so that in the event of failure of any given HDD, I have copies of my data on other HDDs.

The RESPONDER'S POST has been deleted, so why can't I delete my answer to it ?

Edited by JHMcG, 12 May 2013 - 04:31 AM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Only moderators and above can delete topics or replies. As a member you have 24 hours to edit a reply, unless someone has replied to that. If more than 24 hours or a reply to you, then a moderator or above has to do the editing or deleting. You can report the reply you wish to be deleted and any staff member can take care of it.

Hope that helps explain our process here at Bleeping Computer.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

For pictures of my homemade "Dust Filters" and a partial explanation of how I make them, see this thread :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494132/windows-is-unresponsive-and-computer-is-very-loud/

and if you want more info on how to do it, just ask.

Might also add that every one of the HDDs in this machine has full time visible temperature monitoring. The two internal drives are monitored by a Scythe 3.5 Inch fan controller, (that fits in a floppy bay), with a front panel that has both 2 fan speed controls, and a read out for two temperature monitors, (used to monitor the temperature of the 2 internal HDDs), as well as a readout for the speed of the two fans being controlled.

The HDDs, that are in "Hot Swap Trays", (Vantec EZ Swap), have their temperature monitored by the "Hot Swap Trays" which have a Temperature readout on their front panels.

Edited by JHMcG, 21 May 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#6 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

...thing is, there is NO WAY of a guaranteed 100% "non-fault" system. One lightning struck...ALL GONE! :-(

I am a Computer Tech, and have seen one system that got struck. The guy even had a "lightning protection"-box, but still no go. The "box" expanded to the size of a baloon ( only smaller of course ), the "spike" went through his UPS....INTO the PC....al gone to smothers :(

Edited by RobinHoodSnr, 22 May 2013 - 07:13 AM.

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#7 JHMcG

JHMcG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Well if he had owned an identical spare mobo sitting on a shelf, and 15 HDDs in "Hot Swap Trays" sitting on a shelf, like I do, he might have been able to fix it.

Here in Toronto there is a company that monitors all global stock transactions for the five Canadian Chartered Banks, the Bank of Canada, and The Toronto Stock Exchange. I used to deliver their backup tapes to a site that processed them for them. They had 3 mainframes, 90 servers, and over 400 desktops in their office. They also had an uninterrupted power supply that was big enough to fill a one car garage, and an emergency generating setup that was somewhat bigger, and three underground cables all coming in from different directions, so if one got dug up and wrecked by construction, they would still have two more to stay on line with. On top of all that they were situated right across the street from a hydro station, with their own personal hydro line coming directly from that plant.

Are you ready ? One day they got a "Power Spike" that melted three 3/4 inch diameter copper "Bus Bars", trashed their uninterrupted power supply, and wrecked a fair number of their modem power supplies. I helped them fix the modem power supplies, to save them having to buy new modems. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users