Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Asus laptop dropping internet connection

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 adriennen27

adriennen27

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

I purchased this laptop in January of this year, and have been having problems off and on since the beginning. I have been in contact with Asus, and we brought it into Best Buy a couple of times, but since the problem is intermittent, they were unable to see it in action. They suggested that I use the laptop on another network before bringing it in again, to see if it works then, but I have not been able to spend enough time on another network yet to really tell. Also, other laptops in the house function just fine on our network, so I doubt the problem lies in our network.

Details:

-the main problem is that I suddenly lose internet browsing capabilities (and/or it gets extremely slow), though my computer status says it is still connected to our router. This can happen as little as a couple times a week, or as much as every few minutes for days on end. It is currently happening every few minutes, as I disconnect and reconnect every time I lose internet, and it will work again for a few minutes

-our wireless router is an Asus, purchased late last year, and is pretty top of the line

-our modem speeds have been tested, and there is no problem there

-I have edited all the power-saving settings, to make sure the wireless adapter is running at maximum performance all the time

-occasionally the computer itself will get quite slow as well, when opening programs and windows, etc

-I have done scans for viruses and spyware

-I have run all computer updates, and driver updates

-I have changed our router address to something unique, and made sure we are using a channel that doesn't have other networks in the area on it

-I have tried various router settings changes, such as WPA/WPA2, etc.

We live in a condo building with many other signals around us constantly, and I'm wondering if maybe it is just a crappy wireless adapter having trouble with all the signals. For instance, the internet drops whenever I turn our baby monitor on, or use the microwave, and that does not happen with the other laptops in our house.

Any ideas? I want to try and eliminate as many possibilities as I can before going into Best Buy again, so that they might actually do something, if it is juts a crappy wireless card. On May 15th I will be spending the day in another house, and can see if the problems happen on their network.

Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Did you try to update the BIOS to the latest version?

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Did you try to update the BIOS to the latest version?

What does this have to do with his network?

Have you tried to change the frequency of the wireless device to use a different frequency other than the one it's currently using? I believe microwaves and baby monitors use the 2.4 ghz spectrum, so have you tried changing the frequency up/down to see if it will help? Also have you tried to change the laptop to use 5ghz frequency instead of the 2.4ghz? Sounds like to me that your having a lot of interference with everything else in your house operating on the same wireless spectrum that your laptop is trying to run on as well.

-If you hook the laptop directly up to the router via physical cable, does the problem still persist?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 adriennen27

adriennen27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

I haven't tried a cable in several months, but when I did it seemed to solve the problem. It's just not practical for my working space. 

I just borrowed an Asus USB-N53 from my brother last night, to try and see if using our 5G network solves the problem (the crap Qualcomm Atheros adapter that came with the laptop does not support 5G), and it is not detecting our 5G signal, which is odd because our other laptop with 5G capability does. I just emailed Asus tech support for help with that. I don't see any other 5G networks listed on the survey, and it would surprise me if there aren't any in this building.

#5 adriennen27

adriennen27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

How do I change the frequency? I only see options to change the channel and the bandwidth (20/40Mhz).

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Most of the time, changing channels will change the frequency as well, just depends on what firmware your router is using. I know that with using dd-wrt you can change the channel and the frequency both. Also have you tried changing the channel and/or band on the adapter itself? You should be able to go to the device manager, find your wireless card, go to the properties of it, and look in there for the settings. When your talking about 5G, is that the 5ghz band, or something else?

Also can you type this into a command line for me using the laptop that is causing issues.

netsh wlan show interfaces

Edited by chrisd87, 06 May 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#7 adriennen27

adriennen27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

I mean 5ghz by 5G. 

I typed that command, but the black box only showed for a split second and then disappeared?

#8 adriennen27

adriennen27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

When I change the channel, I do have an option to change the extension channel too sometimes - I have tried all of those.

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

I mean 5ghz by 5G. 

I typed that command, but the black box only showed for a split second and then disappeared?

Did you type the command into the command prompt? If you type that command in the search box, it will only display for a second then disappear. Open a command prompt by typing cmd into the search box and when the command prompt opens then type the command.

Edited by chrisd87, 06 May 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#10 adriennen27

adriennen27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

I think I may have some malware on my computer that malwarebytes is not picking up in its scans. I just rebooted my computer a few minutes ago, and got a pop-up from a program called otshot, which I deleted from my computer when I found it in the list of programs recently. I think it tagged along with a different download that I also deleted.

#11 adriennen27

adriennen27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ok I ran the command but can't seem to select the response to copy and paste?

#12 adriennen27

adriennen27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Never mind the malware - I googled that and was able to get rid of it

#13 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

You will right click the text you want to copy in the command prompt. Click on Mark. Then you will highlight any text you want to be copied. Once you have the text highlighted you will right click on the text. This pretty much copies the text to the clipboard. Then you can come in here and paste it. Also you can simply snip the image and then add as an attachment or image into your post.

Sounds like your issue is simply radio waves interfering with each other, and changing the band on the laptop should resolve the problem. We just need to find out how to change the band to use the 5ghz band that your router provides.

I don't know if your router supports it, but you can also create ssids based on what band you want to use. For example you can create ssid called Home that will use band 2.4ghz. Then you can create another ssid called Guest that would use the 5ghz band, and etc.

Edited by chrisd87, 06 May 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#14 adriennen27

adriennen27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Ok here it is:

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name                   : Wi-Fi 2
    Description            : ASUS USB-N53 802.11a/b/g/n Network Adapter
    GUID                   : ee2b30e6-7379-4177-835b-9134e7574e48
    Physical address       : f4:6d:04:5d:fa:b5
    State                  : connected
    SSID                   : Curries
    BSSID                  : c8:60:00:94:79:c8
    Network type           : Infrastructure
    Radio type             : 802.11n
    Authentication         : WPA2-Personal
    Cipher                 : CCMP
    Connection mode        : Profile
    Channel                : 6
    Receive rate (Mbps)    : 144
    Transmit rate (Mbps)   : 144
    Signal                 : 90%
    Profile                : Curries

Hosted network status  : Not available

This is our 2.4ghz SSID. The 5ghz one is called Curries5G. I guess I will just have to wait to hear from Asus regarding why the USB wireless won't pick up the 5ghz signal. 

#15 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

ok do me a favor. Most adapters should automatically detect the appropriate band, but maybe this one is just acting weird. Can you go under the device manager, and go to your adapter, then go to the properties of it and it might be under advanced tab, but see if you can select what band the usb adapter uses. Switch it to use 5ghz band if there's an option for it, and see if that will fix this issue.

When your talking about it won't see the signal, are you referring to the ssid does not appear on the list at all?

Also how far away is the laptop from the router when you're using the 5ghz band, as the range is shorter than if using 2.4ghz.

Can you use the 5ghz ssid and then re-run the command that I issued earlier, so I can look at the contents?

Edited by chrisd87, 06 May 2013 - 10:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users