Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add 2nd. HDD for running 2 different Windows OS.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michden

Michden

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

I have newer HP h8-1039 desktop with Win 7 64 bit Home pre-installed with no cd disc / the recovery section partitioned on the drive. I have a brand new in the box HDD I want to add as a second drive and then install Win XP Pro on the new HDD from a XP Pro install cd so I can use this drive just to play older games/older software.  I do not want to mess with the Win 7 64 bit drive much and would like to keep it original and have it as my default OS with an option to switch between the 2 drives/OS during a start-up. My original Win 7 64 bit Home is "C" drive and plugged into SATA 1. I have been told to do it this way?:

Step 1--Shut down/ pull original Win 7 64 bit data cable and power cable on SATA 1.

Step 2--Install brand new HDD into SATA 2/ start / insert XP Pro install disc and install it on the new HDD.

Step 3--Shut down again and plug back in the original HDD with Win 7 back into SATA 1 port again.

Step 4--Start up and should have the 2 separate drives with there own OS, one drive the original Win 7 64 bit and one drive with Win XP Pro.

Does that sound right?  I am not too savvy so simple is good or if there is something I am overlooking please help as I have been told to do it a couple different ways and confused. Thank You!!

HP h8-1039 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Service Pack 1

AMD Phenom II X6 core

8 G DDR3 Ram

1 TB SATA HDD

1 Gig AMD Radeon HD 6850 Graphics Card

460 Watt Power

New in box Seagate 500gb Sata HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Not to me :).

The XP boot files...there is no mechanism for automatically detecting a bootable Windows install...there must be documentation of such install on the boot files or such does not exist in the eyes of Windows.  The hard drive would be detected, but the Windows XP install ..might as well not exist.

You could, of course, try what was thrown out to you but, logically, it cannot happen that way.  HP wrote boot files for a Win 7 install, it wrote no files for an XP install to be added later :).

But...you can use Easy BCD to overcome this.  There are only two buttons that you need to employ...Add New Entry (whereby EasyBCD inserts the XP install into the bootfiles for Win 7) and Edit Boot Files (where you set up the default Windows install to boot into if no manual intervention occcurs by you.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ , you want the free option at the left.

Louis

#3 Michden

Michden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

OK are any of the steps I posted correct? Can you post a step by step way to make this work from start to finish? I also have the EASYBCD downloaded, but not yet installed. Please keep it simple. Thank You for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

I would remove the Win 7 hard drive, attach other drive.

Install XP on other drive.

Attach second drive....check BIOS settings to ensure that 2 hard drives are properly reflected...select drive with Win 7 as the boot drive.  Save changes by hitting F10.

System should boot into Win 7.  Install EasyBCD, open...click Add New Entry button.

Type:  Windows NT/XP/

Name:  Microsoft XP\

Check mark in "Automatically Detect" should already be there.

Click "Add New Entry" button

Then check to see if was really added...by...clicking Edit Boot Menu button.  If you see an Earlier Version of Windows install and a Win 7 install listed in window, all is well.

Put a check mark in whichever you want to be the default.  Click "Save Settings".  You can change the default any time you like.

Close EasyBCD.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 May 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#5 Michden

Michden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I have problems with the install of the Win XP. Followed the steps, I pulled the original HDD with Win 7 Home 64. Put in the brand new sata HDD. Started up and put in the Win XP Pro install cd disc. Windows starts loading up files for a minute or so and stops with a Stop error message "If this is the first time you have seen this stop error message restart, if this screen appears again follow these steps, Check for virus, Check HDD, Run CHECKDSK/F to check for corruption then restart". same message on second restart. I don't seem to have any keyboard or mouse control so had to do a hard shut down when I tried restarting. Could having a wireless keyboard/mouse combo have anything to do with this? Should I connect a wired keyboard/mouse when trying the XP install? Do you need a stop error code to diagnose? Damn thing is kicking my a**.

Thanks for any help on this issue!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

What's the origin of this XP Pro install CD?

Did it come with a system?  Is it Microsoft Genuine XP retail CD?

Is this a brand new purchased hard drive?

Louis

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Michden have you looked in your system's BIOS and set the SATA operation to RAID AUTODETECT / ATA?

If it is set to RAID AUTODETECT /AHCI Windows XP will have problems installing on your SATA hard drive.

This is worth a look into.

Kind regards....

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Michden

Michden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hamluis -I tried the install a couple more times with the same result. Stop error after a minute or so. I think you have found it as the XP Pro install disc was given to me and looking at the install cd says "For distribution with a new PC only. The Certificate of Authenticity label should be attached to your PC" and I do have the certificate with this disc, but it never got that far into the install before the stop error. I believe it's an OEM install disc that came with a new system and not a retail version. Yes my HDD I was trying to install in on is brand new never used I just bought it. From what you are asking about the install disc I am guessing that it will not install properly on my system and I would need to get a new retail version of XP in order for it to work?

Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users