Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Log-On to Main User Account

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SuperBusa

SuperBusa

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Problem is on a laptop with Visa operating system. Two user accounts on the laptop (main Administrator account and a Guest account). Can get into the Guest user account OK, but can't get into the main/admin account.

When trying to log-on to the main/admin account, get the following message:

"The user profile service failed the log-on. User profile can't be loaded."

When "OK" is chosen to the above message, screen takes you back to the user accounts.

Any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it?  Thanks for any help with this issue.

Edited by SuperBusa, 05 May 2013 - 11:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Go to Microsoft Support, there are three methods listed to repair the account.  The third method is the simplest as it is a Fixit where all you have to do is click on "Fixit". 

If this doesn't resolve the problem you can try the other two. 

The first one involves a registry edit, it mistakes are made during this process it can render the computer inoperable.  For this reason I would suggest backing up the registry, there is information below which will help you do this.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT

• Please download Erunt.
  • For version with the Installer:  Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer.
  • For the zipped version you will need a program like 7-Zip to unzip the file.  
  • Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Edited by dc3, 06 May 2013 - 09:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SuperBusa

SuperBusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thank you!  I wil try your suggested method above and report back what happened. :thumbsup2:  Might be a few days, as this laptop is my girlfriend's, and I may not have access for a couple of days.

Edited by SuperBusa, 06 May 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

I'll be around. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SuperBusa

SuperBusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I was reading up on the links you gave above.  In the Microsoft Support link about this problem, it says:

"Note You must be able to log on to an administrator account to fix your user profile or copy your data to a new account. Before you resolve the issue, log on to Windows by using another account that has administrative permissions, or restart in safe mode to log on with the built-in administrator account."

This laptop ony has two User Accounts ... the main administrative account and a Guest account, which I'm assuming does not have administrative rights (don't know for sure though).  It is the Aministrator Account that can not be logged into.  The link above makes it sound like this issue if for the error message when logging into a "temporaty profile".  I'm wondering if this fix applies to a corrupted Aministrator Account that can not be logged on to?

Dumb question - what's a quick way to determine if the Guest account has administrative rights?  If it doesn't have rights, then it sounds like my only option is to do this via the Safe Mode boot up.  Correct?

If I try to fix this in Safe Mode, will I still be able to download Erunt and load it, and run the auto fix-it on MS Support site with no issues?  Haven't been in safe mode on a maching for years and don't remember if there are other limitations or not.

Edited by SuperBusa, 06 May 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Try the Fixit.

The user account does not have administrative rights.

#7 SuperBusa

SuperBusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Try the Fixit.

The user account does not have administrative rights.

Sorry ... I just want to be clear before I try any fixes.  So you're saying try using the Fixit method as you have outlined, but do it after logging on through the non-Admin account?  Or do it after starting up in Safe Mode?  I don't want to shoot my self in the foot. :killcomp:

Edited by SuperBusa, 06 May 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#8 SuperBusa

SuperBusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

More info ... sorry guys, I haven't had to try and fix a computer problem like this for years.

I was reading about the different type of User Accounts, and there are 3 types: Administator, Standard and Guest.

I think the sencond account is a Standard account, meaning an Admin password will be asked for if doing Admin functions on either account. Only problem is the girlfriend can't remember her Admin password - she tried in front of me a few days ago when the window popped asking asking for the Admin password, so it did recognized her as Admin by the User Name.  She never does Admin functions on this laptop.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Just click on Fixit.

The following is part of one of the forum rules...

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Because of this I can't address any other suggestion for the administrator password other than to try to remember it.

I'm sure that if you did a search you could find a alternate solution.

#10 SuperBusa

SuperBusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Just click on Fixit.

So Fixit will work if launched from the other User Account?  Or should it be launched after booting up in Safe Mode?  Guess I don't understand how it will fix an account you're not logged in to.

I understand about the Admin password issue.  I asked her to try and remember all past passwords she's used anywhere and we can try them.

Edited by SuperBusa, 06 May 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Click on Fix this problem, then click on Run in the File Download dialog box and follow the instructions.

#12 SuperBusa

SuperBusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the help ... will attempt the fix next time I have access to her laptop.  Will let you know the results.

#13 SuperBusa

SuperBusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Update - I finally got a chance to try and fix the described problem on the girlfriend's laptop.  Went into the other account and tried "Fixit" as recommended.  Did not cure the problem - same issue of not being able to log-on to the other account as originally described in my first post in this thread.

Also discoved that there is no Admin Password setup on this laptop.  If a box pops up asking for the Admin password, you can just hit "Continue" and it will move forward.  Therefore, I believe both accounts on this laptop are setup as Standard Accounts (?).

Also, I tried to post in this thread from that laptop, and even though I was logged into BleepingComputer.com, and it seemed I was posting in this thread, when I hit the "Post" button it never got posted.  This laptop is also super slow it seems ... so I'm thinging it has major issues or has a virus on it.

Really don't know what to do at this point.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Edited by SuperBusa, 12 May 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

If a box pops up asking for the Admin password, you can just hit "Continue" and it will move forward.  Therefore, I believe both accounts on this laptop are setup as Standard Accounts (?).

This doesn't mean that one of these isn't a admin. account.  Open the Control Panel and click on User Accounts to see which account is the admin.

When you tried to post in this topic using the other computer, were you able to type text into the reply box?

#15 SuperBusa

SuperBusa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

When you tried to post in this topic using the other computer, were you able to type text into the reply box?

Yes, when I was posting in this thread from that laptop, I was able to type text into the reply box.  I would hit the "Post" button, and it looked like it was uploading the post (geen box with 3 flashing squares would appear at top of reply box), but the post would never show up.

Edited by SuperBusa, 12 May 2013 - 02:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users