Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dykes360

Dykes360

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hi all, basically I just (tried) to start up up my laptop for the first time in a while and it turns on and I can hear the hard drive spinning (I think) but I don't hear the processors working. The hard drive light doesn't flicker at all. Screen also does not work. Would you be able to help me? My laptop is a Sony vaio model PCG-7144M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hi,

When you switch on, you should immediately get the 'Power On' light showing steadily. Then you should get the BIOS screen, and while that is still showing, the HDD light should start to flicker / show fairly steadily, and then the computer should boot. This is the normal sequence.

If you are getting the power on light - OK. If you are not, check that it has a battery installed and that the charger is working. You don't need the battery if the charger is working and plugged in. The voltage should be about 18 to 20 volts DC if you are just putting a meter across the outer and inner conductors.

Next, you should get the BIOS screen - in your case it should show some variant of the Sony logo. Are you getting to see this, no matter how briefly ?  If you can see this, your screen is OK. Can you see the BIOS screen ?  Get back to us

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Dykes360

Dykes360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

Yes I can see the power light is on and I can hear either the fans or the hard drive spinning. The scree isn't working at all.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

I was afraid you were going to say something like that !  There are a considerable number of possibilities that could be causing this failure, but I can only think of two that can be easily checked by almost anyone - either your hard drive has moved out of position or your RAM chips have.

If you switch your computer off and turn it over, you will see two rectangular covers which are held in by screws. One covers the hard drive and the other the RAM chips. If you use a small cross-head screwdriver, you can remove these covers to access the HDD and the RAM chips. From memory - it's a while since I last worked on a Vaio - the hard drive is retained by another screw. If this is in place, the HDD should be OK. If the screw isn't there, or is loose, check that the HDD is a snug fit in its location and tighten up the screw, gently. The same goes for the RAM chips - make sure that they are a snug fit in their socket. Replace both covers and try booting the computer again.  If this works, super. If it doesn't, you are going to need hands on help from someone. I don't suppose you live anywhere near Edinburgh in Scotland, do you ?

The problem is, that from the description you give of the failure condition, the fault could lie anywhere in the system up to and including a dead screen. If the two checks above don't solve it there isn't too much that can be done, as it were, by remote control. If worst comes to the worst, and it is decided that this computer is beyond economic repair, assuming the problem isn't a dead hard drive, you will still be able to recover any data off the drive by slaving it to another computer.

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Dykes360

Dykes360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

Yeah I did what you said and tried booting again and nothing.... My mother then dismantled it and when she was putting it back together she had screws leftover and well yeah. That's that. I was looking at some of the vibox computers on eBay and they look good spec wise but I'm unsure on build quality. Have you heard anything about these? Could you advise me on what to buy? Ideally a laptop with enough power for gaming and some photo/video processing.. Also windows 7...win 8 looks well... (bleepe) I actually live in Fort William! So I do live close ish!

Edited by Dykes360, 26 May 2013 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users