Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I buy a 2 year old scanner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheNewbie999

TheNewbie999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi

I have plans to buy a new scanner. I have been looking at Canon Imageformula p-215.

But it is made in 2011. Should I wait or should I get a 2 year old scanner?

Thanks /

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Before I bought that I would want to be sure it will work with the latest version of Windows.

The first thing to do is create a punch list of features.

When I bought a scanner this year, this was my list.

Small footprint

Scan both sides

Decent software

What I bought is small.

It can run at reduced speed when powered off of the USB ports or at full speed using it's power supply. So it can be a desktop or portable. I've run it off of my Laptop using two USB ports, Speed was OK. I've run it off of it's power adapter at full speed.

Small footprint.

Takes sheets of paper, Not a flatbed scanner

Scan to word with OCR or to a PDF.

It is fast too.

User reviews were good.

More software functions than I needed so I haven't tried them all.

Output quality adjustable

Drawback, All sheets of paper to scan must be the same length and width. Width is adjustable.

It wasn't cheap either, But I'm happy with it. It does exactly what I bought it to do.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. I just did a Google of the Imageformula p-215, It looks to be a similar size of what I bought, Different brand of course. I paid $250 as a FYI

Edited by rotor123, 05 May 2013 - 09:11 PM.
Additional content

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

Well...I bought a scanner a couple of years ago (Canoscan 9000F) and I decided recently to unpack it and try it about a month ago.  Pleasantly surprised with how well it does what I want to do, compared to older, previous scanners I had used in prior years.  I buy computer components all the time...in anticipation of my wanting to use them in the future and this was one of those purchases :).

I believe the key in assessing any potential purchase...is to ask yourself just what you intend to use the purchase for...and what your expectations/emphasis on features might be.

My scanner was new when I purchased it, so I had full warranty.  I believe that would be the key item I'd check regarding the date introduced/manufactured.

The software accompanying a scanner...is varied, dependent on the purchaser expectations.  I never considered such because I have had at least one purchased graphics-editing program now since about 1998 and I use those to modify/edit.  I generally don't scan documents, so I pay no attention to OCR...but I would probably buy a standalone program if that was an issue with me.

My impression of scanner software...is that it is designed for users who are neophytes and who just want a quick solution to typical scanning scenarios.  That doesn't mean that it's not adequate or good...it just means that it's probably not equivalent to buying a dedicated program.  OTOH...one of the programs included with my scanner was Adobe PS Elements 8, which is more than a decent graphics editor, IMO.

The question arises...why a new scanner, what doesn't the current scanner do that you would look for as features of the new one?  And...why now?

In any case, those are some of the questions/considerations I would make before deciding that I need/want a new scanner :).

Louis

#4 TheNewbie999

TheNewbie999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hi guys

Thanks for your effort. I've had a couple of days to think about this.
I might just wait for a while. I know it would annoy me if I buy this one, and Canon releases a new scanner a month later =)

Have a nice day!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Canon, HP, etc...constantly release new models...that's why printers/scanners don't cost an arm and a lwg and it's cheaper for many to get a printer from Walmart, as opposed to paying for ink refills :).

Just get something that you will have confidence in...the latest is always in the works at Canon, HP, etc.

Louis

#6 vijay.seo

vijay.seo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:50 AM

You just Get new model scanner like  Hp scanjet G2410 flatbed Scanner. It's Better than 2 years old Scanners Old scanners always problem.

You should try this Hp scanjet G2410 flatbed Scanner - Easy, affordable and versatile scanning – capture photos, documents, 3D objects and more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users