Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP omni all-in-one PC. Won't boot at all.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Alex384

Alex384

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

Hello,
I have ordered a new motherboard for this computer after checking that 1) it wasnt a PSU issue. After I installed the new motherboard, I got the motherboard light on and checked all the plugs to be in but the computer still won't boot. What can be the issue now? What should I check for now? By the way, right after plugging in the PSU the power button light goes on then off real quick while the motherboard light stays on. Any advice would be great...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

What model ? maybe the blinking light is an error code.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

It sounds to me like the controller is not getting any action from the power switch located on the computer case front panel.

The power led located on the motherboard is lighted because the motherboard is receiving power from the PSU.

The brief flashing on of the power switch led indicates power is passing through the controller, however, somewhere along the line the power switch is not sending a command to the controller to power on the system.

Please carefully observe the wiring harness that is going from the front panel of the case to motherboard connectors for a mis-aligned connector.

Also, please make sure that the 12 Volt power connector is connected to the motherboard, this can be either a 4 pin or 8 pin plug. This is needed for the processor to power up and the system will fail to power up if this connector is not hooked up.

As Caperdog has stated above, posting your model number would be most helpful in getting the most accurate advice.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thank you for the responses,
The model is HP Omni 120-1034 (all-in-one PC).
Product no. QU131AA#ABA
And let me know If you'd like any pictures.

Edited by Alex384, 05 May 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#5 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Is anyone still following this topic?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi

Can you give us more details ?

How did you diagnose your PSU ? . What is the exact problem of the old board (no display or not powering on ? )

Is the replacement motherboard powering on or completely dead ?

#7 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hi

Yes, well now it seems like the replacement motherboard isn't turning on like the old one. I tried plugging in the PSU into the old one and that one seemed to have the light come on in the motherboard also so it wasnt completely dead. The replacement, only the light on the motherboard comes on (same symptoms). I tried removing the PSU and holding the power button for 10seconds and trying again but still doesn't work. By the way, the components on the new motherboard didnt come with EVERYTHING. I don't know which parts exactly, but I think it was the wireless card and a metal case that went over the processor chip. I had to unscrew those parts from the old mobo to put into the new one. Not sure if those could be the cause to the problem... But pressing the power button doesn't do anything at all; no fans moving, nothing. I'm trying to figure out as soon as possible since it has a 14 day return policy and If its defective I wanna get it back ASAP.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi

It could be an add on card. To properly test a motherboard, just put only CPU and RAM in it. Then connect the SMPS and check if it works. 

#9 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

It still won't turn on at all... Any other suggestions?

BTW, I can test it with another PSU. Even if the motherboard light is lit can still indicate a bad PSU, right?

Edited by Alex384, 12 May 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

True. Just because it will start on its own does not prove it will deliver the required voltage under load. Try the other PSU.

#11 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Caperdog -
Tried the other working PSU that works on the other same unit but still does not power up this one. Could it be a problem with another component if not the motherboard...? I tried replugging in the plugs into the motherboard - nothing. Tried reseating CMOS..., reinserted RAM... Starting to think it might be another defective. Anything else I could try?

Edited by Alex384, 12 May 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

I can't find anything online to show me the motherboard. How does the power button attach ? just two wires ? can we bypass the button to eliminate that.

remove everything except CPU (soldered in on this machine) , Ram, will it start ? Fans come on ?

#13 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/283/c03082765.jpg

Removed everything - tried - doesn't work...

Edited by Alex384, 12 May 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

got the picture but it is not labled. Where does the power button connect. if it is a two wire connection you can remove the wires from the pins on the motherboard and jump the two motherboard pins with a small screwdriver. just touch and then remove. If the board fires up then the problem is the button. If it does not then it is either the board, the cpu or the ram.

On this model the Cpu is soldered into the board, did your new board come with a new CPU also ?

You have known working ram in the other unit. You could put one stick of that in non working unit to test also.

And it is possible that your new board is no good.

#15 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

-UPDATE- 5/17/13

I ended up returning the old one and ordered a new motherboard from the same vendor that sold me the motherboard to the other Omni 120.
I got everything connected and now it's beeping 5 times, (bad RAM?) as the power light flashes red the same time. I made sure all connections were secure I hear the hard drive noises, the fans spin a quick second. Tried clicking the CD drive and it opens and I put in all the screws already. After plugging in the PSU into the PC it starts up immediately but I hear the 5 beeps. With the RAM chip out, still has the same error. I know it means an error code so can you help me out on this one?

Edited by Alex384, 17 May 2013 - 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users