Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rattle inside laptop; loose parts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alex384

Alex384

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

Hello,
A little over a month ago I was trying to open up my laptop in attempt to repair a webcam issue. After getting all the screws on the back off, I decided to not go through with it until I get someone more experienced to help out. I got all the screws back into its slots except ONE screw wouldn't screw in which I didn't know why. If it was the wrong screw or not but all the other fitted in perfectly. I ended up giving up trying to get it to fit in. Skipping to the next part, I got to use it and it works fine until I hit it against something and I hear a screeching sound, which sounds like the fan is hitting against the chassis maybe. It went away after I hit again so I thought it went back into place. But when I sway the laptop I hear something moving around in the inside like a little part is out of place. Will this cause any problems in the future? Should I be worried? P.S. the laptop feels hotter than before this issue now, could the fan have moved and now all the heat isn't able to get out the vents?

Laptop model: NV53a52u

Edited by Alex384, 05 May 2013 - 01:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

here is a take apart video which may help you to determine what is loose.

http://www.laptopinventory.com/LaptopInventory.php/Gateway/NV%20SERIES/NV53A/Motherboard

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2013 - 06:42 PM.
Fixed link - Hamluis.

#3 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the link!
Do you think it's possible to replace a laptop's webcam with one from another brand computer but uses the same manufacturer of webcam?
And can you also post a disassembly guide for an Asus G73JH?

Edited by Alex384, 05 May 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#4 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Are the screw sizes the same size? (On the bottom-back)

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

it is possible the screw lenth could be different. one of the screws you took out held the hard drive I think. Look at this take apart

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-gateway-nv-series-laptop-fix-power-jack/

webcam change doable. probably require different driver and maybe software.

I was able to find the ASUS disassembly guide on mediafire (file hosting) http://www.mediafire.com/?fanmyzlm1nz

#6 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Thanks once again.

Do you have instructions for replacing the webcam on the NV53A?

Here, I pointed out where I removed the screw and it won't fit back in. Can you find out what part it held and possibly what is moving around from that?

http://tinypic.com/r/x3d5rs/5

Edited by Alex384, 06 May 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

how about disable built in webcam and buy a clip on USB one ?

#8 Alex384

Alex384
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

How do  I disable the built in webcam?

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

in the BIOS ( sometime called setup ). when the computer starts you would press a certain key to enter Bios. If it does not tell you on the screen then check the manual (downloadable online from gateway).
The manual should also show you the options available in BIOS. Do not change anything else in there.
Then "save and exit"
BIOS = Basic Input Output System

That screw in photo looks like it is close to fan as there are ventilation openings there.
Just a guess.
I think hard drive screw is in middle of cover by itself.

Edited by caperdog, 07 May 2013 - 07:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users