Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan controller - no power to case fans

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wazzuvius

wazzuvius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

I just put together a complete desktop and everything seems to be working fine except the case fans that are supposed to be controlled from the supplied fan controller. 

I'm pairing an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard with a Fractal Design Core 3000 case. The fans work fine when hooked up to the motherboard but won't work when I have them hooked up to the fan controller - no power 

Fractal includes a fan controller that is simply a single dial that controls all fans connected to it. Connecting the fans seems simple enough but I wonder why they won't activate. I have it connected to the PSU via 4-pin Molex but maybe that's where I'm going wrong somehow. 

Does anyone have suggestions as to why the fans won't turn on when I have them hooked up the way I described? Are there any details I'm missing? I'm not an expert, although I sort of have a clue.. haha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

The fans must be hooked up to the PSU for power...then to the fan controller for "control".

.http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Fractal-Design-Core-3000-Case-Review/1419/4

If the fans work without the controller...but won't with it connected...I'd say that your fan controller has a problem.

Louis

#3 wazzuvius

wazzuvius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, I've tried both molex cables from the PSU but still no power to the fans. What I don't get is that the wires from the controller are all 2-pin male and the case fans are all 3-pin female. These are all from Fractal Design and came together so why the variation? Does it make any difference? 

I might just contact Fractal and see if they can send me another controller. I'm still not sure if I'll be using it or software to control fan speed, but I might as well have all properly working components regardless :) 

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hi, One quick question. Are You using the red and Black wires to the controller? Also note that the fans will only work when plugged in one way since they are DC fans. The Third wire is the fan speed reporting wire and is not used by the fan speed controller. Are the fans too noisy when plugged into the motherboard?

As to why they supplied those fans? All case fans that I have seen are mainly 3 wire with a few exceptions. So that is what they bought most likely.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users