Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble connecting to hosting account.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markerpower

markerpower

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have a laptop that has XP Profressional SP2. A couple of weeks ago it started having trouble connecting to my hosting account. I couldn't connect to my account at all. Going to any domains on my account in a browser didn't work and connecting via FTP didn't work. I unchecked Passive FTP under Internet Options and could finally connect. The problem is that the connection will fail at first. I have to refresh a couple of times in a browser to connect and reconnect with FTP to stay connected. In a browser, if I go to a different page under one of my domains, I still have to refresh a few times to see the page.

My firewall and any security program is off. There aren't any viruses and spyware. All the other computers in my home can connect to my hosting account just fine. So far my websites under my hosting account are the only websites that my laptop is having problems with.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is when I tried to upgrade to SP3. It failed and I have to use System Restore to restore to an earlier date.

Edited by markerpower, 04 May 2013 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hi,

You say that your firewall and security are OFF, I would strongly suggest you turn them back ON. As far as I am aware, and in my experience, it makes no difference to the SP3 upgrade if they are on.

You say that you think this may be connected with a failed attempt to upgrade to SP3. How did you do this upgrade ? By the Windows Upgrade system, or did you download the update first and then install it ?  Again, while I have done it both ways, I have seen reports on the forums that there can be problems and failures with the Upgrade method. Since MS allow you to download this update - it's about 250 MB - this is generally considered the best way to do it. I have my own copy on a CD, but a folder on your hard drive or a memory stick would work just as well. Then just run the complete file as an install.

Once you have got SP3 installed, I would try re-installing my FTP software.

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 markerpower

markerpower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'm keeping the firewall and any other security off until I solve the problem.

I downloaded and installed the update. SP3 is just not going to work on my laptop; activation problems, laptop may shut off during install and safe mode. I'm trying to see if there is a solution with using SP2. Everything worked before I attempted the SP3 upgrade. If there isn't a solution, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

My laptop is old and not my primary computer, so it's not a big loss. I'm lucky I can use it at all. I couldn't use it for awhile because I couldn't get it to stay on long enough to install XP. Everything works fine now except for the whole connection to my hosting account and all domains under it. Any other site works.

Edited by markerpower, 05 May 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#4 markerpower

markerpower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

I was finally able to upgrade to SP3. I'm still having the connection problem. What would cause a computer to not be able to connect to one server?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users