Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB drive works, though it loads mad slow sometimes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

I've been curious about this since I noticed it a bit ago.  I've had this Seagate FreeAgent drive for a few years now, since 2009, and it is a great drive, though it does some weird things in my Dell Latitude E6530.  It is fine when plugged into  the PowerEdge Server or the Dell Inspiron.  What will happen sometimes is that I click on it in Windows explorer, and it takes a few moments to load, and then since I have lots of folders nested within folders in order to keep myself organized, I'll click on a subfolder of a folder, and then Windows Explorer will emit the normal system sound signifying that I have opened a folder, though I sometimes have to wait a very long time for the folder to actually open.  Or I'll keep having to double-click on it before the system will even acknowledge that I have opened something.  I have run both check disk on Windows and just for kicks and giggles while I was looking around the drive with TestDisk under Cygwin, I found some interesting things. CheckDisk finds absolutely nothing; no file system errors, no nothing, while TestDisk finds some rather interesting things; while it was recovering some files, I got a couple weird messages saying that the boot partition on the drive was invalid, and then one saying that there was a head mismatch on the drive.  That doesn't sound good at all.  My friend basically told me though to ignore those latter messages because he disbelieves in Linux's ability to test NTFS partitions, so I don't know if he's right or what, but this is odd.  i'm running Windows 8 on this computer while the Inspiron runs Windows 7 and the server runs Windows server 2008 R2.  The problem only seems to occur on this computer though. And I use HDDHealth running in my system tray at all times, and it has never flagged anything on this drive, though problematically, the program only considers my external Seagate drive a partition and not a physical drive, so it's overall health according to the program is not listed.  My primary internal drive, the one that boots the operating system, is also a Seagate.  And according to HDDHealth, the internal drive has a health of 85 percent after only six months of owning this laptop while the Toshiba MQ01ABD100 that I just placed in the modular bay is at 100 percent health.  It's newer, obviously, but it seems odd to me.  But I'm really curious if this is actually just an issue with a slow computer maybe and not with the drive itself?  I hope so. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users