Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton error has me worried.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frozenstar

frozenstar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

I guess I should post my issue here. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section. I started getting an error from Norton today, "8506, 421". Right when I get to the desktop the Norton Autofix box pops up with the error, and it says it can't find a fix. So, I scanned my computer with Norton's Full System Scan, and no malicious items were detected. I read up about this error on Norton's website, and it said to run Norton Power Eraser, so I did that. The only thing it came up with was that the Registry was bad, but when I restarted to repair it, it said it couldn't repair it. Someone else had a similar registry detection in Norton Power Eraser (after running NPE due to the "8506, 421" error), and it was due to the them hiding their desktop icons, and I also hide my desktop icons. I don't remember the filename Norton Power Eraser detected because it only lasted a little bit on my screen, and after it showed I didn't know where to find that filename again to write it down. So, after that, I decided to scan with the free version of Malwarebytes, which I did a Full System Scan with. It didn't detect anything, but I did find it odd that it said "Not Responding" at the top of the box when it was on some WildTangent games file. It started to respond again after that and was able to complete the scan with "no malicious items detected". I'm not sure if I have something. The only thing I can see is that if I do, it's due to my external hard drive. I am currently on the laptop that I did the scans I just talked about on, but I have a desktop computer that I think might have a virus due to it popping up with Windows Boot Manager everytime the computer comes on. I'm only talking about that desktop that I have, because I connected the external hard drive I have to it. When I connected the external hard drive to my laptop, I scanned it with Norton and Malwarebytes and nothing was detected on it. The only other thing is that I had Adobe Flash Player 10.3 on this laptop, since the newest version wasn't working right in Firefox. I downloaded the newest Flash Player today, so that should be okay now. The laptop itself seems fine. There's nothing that seems odd, no ad pop ups anywhere, just that error from Norton and that weird "Not responding" moment while using Malwarebytes. I'm just worried that I might have some kind of hidden infection on my system. I do not have a usb thumb drive. I don't know if I would need one, but I just thought I would make that known. I appreciate any help I can get on this issue. I just want to put my mind at ease.

Norton Internet Security 2013 20.3.1.22

The lastest version of Malwarebytes (free version without real time protection, not Pro)

Toshiba Sattelite Laptop

Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool.

2. Save the file to the Windows desktop.

3. On the Windows desktop, double-click the Norton Removal Tool icon.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

5. Restart your computer.

6. Reinstall Norton Internet Security 2013

7. Update it!

Edited by Francis Houle, 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users