Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display on 52inch TV - worked for years

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HijackThat

HijackThat

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

3 years: Acer Desktop hooked up to Insignia LCD 52inch HDTV with VGA cable - worked great!

Today, I turn on and the display is very dim, off centered, and flickering :wacko:

I've tried:

• changing resolution, but all other options result in "Mode Not Supported" for 10 seconds before it reverts back to 1920 x 1080 (flickering, dim, off-centered).
  • the only refresh rate is 60Hz
  • I attempted system restore to yesterday, then to a month ago, neither fixed the problem.
  • connected via VGA to other computer sized screen, worked fine, not a problem with VGA cable.
  • tested TV with DVD and BluRay players, all fine, not a problem with the TV.

Help?

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2013 - 01:14 PM.
Moved from Vista to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

• connected via VGA to other computer sized screen, worked fine, not a problem with VGA cable.

Does this mean you connected the Acer desktop to a different monitor? Or did you connect the LCD TV to a different computer?

Which ever of the two you did do...have you tried the other as well? In other words, if you did connect the Acer desktop to another monitor, then have you also tried connecting the LCD TV to a different computer?

#3 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

:bananas: I Found the Fix! :bananas:

"Procedure

1. Download Phoenix.zip and extract it to a working folder.
  2. Run it and click the registry toolbar button.
  3. Click the pencil toolbar button for edit mode.
  4. Change the EDID settings to reflect you display's true capabilities
  5. Pay special attention to the Standard Timings tab.
  6. Detailed Timing blocks 2-4 provide some very interested additional options.
  7. Save the EDID to a .DAT file in the working folder.
  8. Download moninfo.exe and install it.
  9. Open the saved .DAT with MonInfo and make sure it doesn't complain about it
  10. If it does post here for help
  11. If MonInfo reads in an displays the settings the way you configured them in Phoenix then...
  12. Select Create INF... from the file menu and save it to the working folder.
  13. Feel free to edit the strings in the INF to your liking.
  14. Open Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
  15. Select the monitor you want to change, right click and select Update Driver Software
  16. Use the tried and true "Have Disk" method to select the INF and install it.
  17. Reboot and enjoy your new resolution!"

My Insignia LCD 52inch HDTV is back to normal, Netflix here I come! :guitar: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users