Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My taskmanager will not run, even after Reimage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PoleAxem

PoleAxem

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

I would really like to replace it. What would you guys recommend?

-P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

You might be able to repair Task Manager, but you will not be able to replace it as it is part of the Windows operating system.

Please explain what exactly is or is not happening.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please follow the instructions for posting it here.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

You may try the sysinternals process explorer which is more powerful than the original default task manager and is able to replace it

Below is the link to Process Explorer

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1992-replace-windows-task-manager-with-process-explorer-sysinternals

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#4 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

I am not a computer helper and don't even know what i'm doing most of the time but when i saw that you might of run the Reimage program i had to say something.

I also ran that program once in hopes of fixing my computer and thats all it took,  from that point on i went through the worst nightmare you could ever imagine .  That program downloaded the Heur Trojan on my system and from what i was told by multiple expert malware removal pros after posting logs etc..it had variants and backdoors involved with it .

The vast majority of experts including Kaspersky techs, Major geek techs and yes a tech here said it was very very difficult to eliminate and you had to do it manually.

It seemed to keep showing up regardless of the help i received .

I am not saying you got it but if you did,  i feel for ya man, it was hell, and yes i definitely got it from that Reimage program that advertises all over the place  .

Edited by herbman, 04 May 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Until the issue is resolved...you can use one of these alternative replacements for Windows Task Manager:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 PoleAxem

PoleAxem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

My Windows 7 is doing a large backup. I can provide any info about the installed software list. What is happening though is when I try to start task manager nothing happens. It looks like it's trying to start the program but nothing happens. I will send info later.

How do I find out if it has a Trojan or a backdoor ?  I can't install any of the recommended software until the backup is finished .I wanted to backup everything before I messed with it too much just in case something goes wrong. Thanks for all the advice .

- Poleaxem

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

If you think the problem is malware related then start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. You can post a link to this thread but follow through with checking for and confirming or elimating malware as the culprit before continuing here. Doing that will avoid confusion.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users