Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer will not connect to HTTP, but will connect to HTTPS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BenT13

BenT13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

My browser is IE8. Window XP Home with SP2 (Sony VAIO Desktop PCV-RS420, Pentium-4, 2.8 Ghz, 512MB Ram). I am now unable to connect to the Internet. The network diagnostic for window XP kept saying to check firewall settings for HTTP(port 80), HTTPS(port 443), and FTP (port 21).  I don't know how to do that. I open the Window firewall settings on the Security Center page (Exception tab), it lists programs and services on the "Exception", ie, to not block incoming network connection from these programs or services, which include "Internet Explorer",on the list, which seems to be appropriate.  But my computer still will not connect to the Internet--very frustrating.  I  have done "System Restore" a few times to an earlier dates, thinking maybe the computer picked up some virus and the System restore function should temporarily resolve that issue.  But still no luck.   Finally, I tried connecting to a secured website with "HTTPS" in the address bar and the computer appeared to be successful to connect to these HTTPS sites, but it continued to refuse to connect to a regular website(i.e. with "HTTP" in its address bar).  Please help me resove these internet connection issues I would vey much appreciate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

<<My browser is IE8. Window XP Home with SP2...>>

May have nothing to do with your problem...but you really need to install SP3 and all critical updates since its issuance...that may take care of your problem, but even if it doesn't...your system will be less vulnerable.

Installing or reinstalling SP3... has been known to overcome various previous system problems.

Sounds to me like corruption affecting non-secure websites, so you may also want to reinstall IE8.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Windows XP is supported till April of 2014 if you have SP3.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 scotland78

scotland78

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

I have to agree with Hamluis/Louis regarding upgrade to SP3 but I have seen some very unique situations where a certain program / application will not work and had to revert to XP SP2 (talking about a corporate environment here affecting many people) but have you tried some of below:  Unless there is a specific reason you are still on SP2 then definitely upgrade.

In an ideal world you could use a backup image but I guess you dont have this so:

The possibilities are endless so best advice I can give is troubleshoot ONE STAGE at a time, its just patience and faultfinding...

If it was me I would try another browser to find out if the problem is Internet explorer?   You can even use Firefox portable which means you don’t have to reinstall

• rest IE ( tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset)

• try IE in safe mode ( no toolbars or advanced options) - also check IE toolbars

• check disabled and enabled items ( tools > Internet Options > Programs > manage add ons)

• as a test try turning off your antivirus security and windows firewall

• try uninstalling IE8 and then reinstall

• You can also remove IE8 and then IE6 ( removing internet explorer completely from the machine - NOTE - have a download of  a browser to install BEFORE doing this

• check the Internet security options ( Tools > Internet options > Security)

•Try going to Start --> Run then type in cmd and click on Ok. This will bring up the command prompt, here type in netsh winsock reset catalog then after a few seconds it will say that you must restart, type exit, then restart computer and try again.

• Tools > Internet options > Connections - what exactly is listed there

• your windows profile could be corrupt so create a new one and attempt again

Another possibility is that the machine is infected?  - try Malwarebytes, but obviously you cant download from your machine so get a friend to give yuo a copy on a USB stick and run in safemode ( press F8 at bootup)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one) at this site.

To open the program click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

Click on All Programs.

Click on Windows Repair (All in one), this may be listed as Tweaking.com.

If you are running Windows Vista, 7, or 8 right click on Windows Repair (All in one)  and then click on Run as administrator.

Notice:  You will need to disable your antivirus in order to run this program, for this reason you should run this while off line.

Go to Step 2 and click on the Do it button to allow CheckDisk to run.

windowsrepairstep2-1_zps08aed02b.png

Go to Step 3 and click on the Do it button to run System File Check.

windowsrepairstep3-1_zps935b7603.png

Go to Step 4 and click on the Create button under System Restore.

windowsrepairstept4-1_zpseb336401.png

Go to Start Repairs and click on the Start button.

Important: Do not make any changes to the check marks.

For those running Windows 8 please note that  Reset Registry Permissions is not checked by design.

When the page below opens click on the Start button.

windowsrepairstartrepairs-1_zpsa179850d.

Please copy and paste the Windows Repair Log in your next post.  This log (_windows_repair_log.txt) is located in the following folder:

*  64-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

*  32-bit systems file path - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Copy the file path for your version of Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png and paste it in the Search all programs and files box.

Click on Logs.

Click on _Windows_Repair_Logs.

Copy and paste this log in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

I had a similar problem once. The solution is to install Service Pack 3; BUT you must disconnect your internet while doing so. i.e. Unplug your internet cable, Install service pack 3, reboot, then shut down and reconnect your internet cable, and reboot again. THAT worked for me.

Edited by JHMcG, 04 May 2013 - 09:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users