Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Just Upgraded All Hotmail Users To New Outlook.com

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Microsoft Says Goodbye Hotmail::Brought to you by TechWeb

QUOTE from link above:

"Hotmail was still one of the most widely used services, with over 300 million active accounts," he wrote. "This made the magnitude of the process incredible, maybe even unprecedented. This meant communicating with hundreds of millions of people, upgrading all their mailboxes and making sure that every person's mail, calendar, contacts, folders, and personal preferences were preserved in the upgrade. Of course, this had to be done with a live site experience that was handling billions of transactions a day."

So, farewell Hotmail, which almost certainly had users active on it since its 1996 debut.

ImageDetail

Microsoft just upgraded everyone who uses Hotmail to the new Outlook.com. This required migrating more than 150 petabytes (150 million gigabytes) of data.

info_hotmailoutlook_Page.jpg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

"So, farewell Hotmail, which almost certainly had users active on it since its 1996 debut."

I looked the other day when I was shifting over to Outlook and remarked that I joined in late 1997. My wife and I were cracking up at how long I've had that email address. It's just myname at hotmail.com,  no dots, no underscores or numbers, etc.

And if I were to share with you the *small* amount of information I had about the Internet and computers back then.   :lol:      *whew*

You've come a long way baby, she said.

Indeed.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Two freaing decades, my first email address and still have it. At least I still sign in with _____@hotmail.com; they didn't take that away from me.

I have to explore this new rendition and see what it's about.

I have 14 email address now, one for each interest and subject, but this the granny of them all.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users