Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Will Not Connect To Network Though Wireless Card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thorntonman

thorntonman

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:46 PM

I have a home wireless network Netgear DG824M with 3 PCs connected, 2 via wireless cards, and a works laptop also via wireless connection. All are working fine. I have acquired a DELL latitude C640 that connects to the internet using the fixed LAN connection but I cannot get the connection via the wireless card (DELL True Mobile 1150 Series Mini PCI Card). The card was working ok about 3 weeks ago but since then the laptop has been rebuilt. Windows shows the device as working OK but it remains in a status of 'Not connected, Firewalled'. I have uninstalled it and re-installed but still same problem exists. The operating system is XP. As the laptop is mainly for use upstairs I need it connected through the wireless card. I think my problem may be with the settings of my home network but I have tried various and do not know what to do now, can you assist please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:57 PM

1.do you have alll the windows upates done>mainly net framework?
2.are you using your windows wireless to connect or the utility that came with the w/s adapter?
3.can you see your router with the laptop?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 thorntonman

thorntonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

1. I believe the Windows updates are done.
2. I am afraid I don't know what I am looking for here. Can you clarify for me?
3. I cannot see the router from the laptop but when logged into my gateway I have seen the laptop (sometimes but not always!).

When I view Wireless Networks I get the message 'No wireless networks were found in range'. I have tried to create a wireless network but it does not recognise.

What other details do I need to provide you?

#4 thorntonman

thorntonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for offering assistance but the case is closed and I am now corrected via wireless.

Oh I am such a fool. Not to embarassed though to share with you in case anyone else has the same problem. The resolution of my problem was in the naming of my wireless network. As I do not have a disc copy of my network configuration I had introduced it manually with exactly the same properties as on my other wireless PCs (or so I thought). I was one critical character out in the naming of the network as I introduced my new network with a name all in lower case however on the others it commences with a leading Capital. So frustrating to find such a simple yet critical error. :thumbsup:

But now I am :flowers:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

I know you must have stressed greatly, but it also must feel very good finding it on your own. Good job.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users