Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying a video to play on dvd. How hard can it be?!


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 supersadie

supersadie

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi

Appreciate some expert help here. I want to copy a dvd containing conventional vob, bup and ifo files to a dvd that will play on a conventional dvd player.

Content is my own.

The disk holds some 696 individual files, but although the files are theoretically much smaller, the size on disk is 390gb! (Presumably because of slack space in the clusters). I cannot therefore, copy the files to my desktop and burn from there.

I can rip using a compression software and I now have an mpg4 on my hard drive. But I'm not convinced i can burn this to dvd and have anything that can be played on a dvd player.

Besides which, my burning software gives me only the option to put files into a video_ts folder, which would presumably mean they'd have to be vob, bup and ifo.

Is there a simple way to do what I want to do?

Thanks in advance.



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 rotor123

rotor123

  • Moderator
  • 8,093 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hi

1. That seems like a lot of files for a standard DVD.

2. A Single Layer DVD is rated as 4.7gb

3. A Dual Layer DVD is 8.5Gb

4. A BluRay Single layer holds 25Gb and a dual Layer holds 50Gb.

 

There is no way that a DVD can hold 390Gb.

 

I have seen weird results like you cite, But they are 99% of the time a commercial Copy Protected DVD. The other 1% would be a corrupted DVD that was a bad burn or authored by software that corrupted the output.

 

A MP4 is not a DVD compliant file that DVD players can be expected to play. Some might, Most won't. See the link below,

What is DVD? http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

 

a DVD requires specific formatted MPEG2 files that are then authored to DVD Standard.

 

Good Luck

Roger


Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users