Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three Problem Devices In Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TrashDept

TrashDept

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:24 PM

After uninstalling and then updating my graphics card drivers, I decided to plug in an external USB hard drive into one of my USB ports. Windows XP Pro notified me that new hardware was found:

other PCI Bridge Device
PCI Memory Controller
SM Bus Controller

Consequently, no drivers could be found so now under “Other Devices” in Device Manager, these three devices are shown with a question mark and exclamation point.

Obviously, I need drivers for these devices. Do I need to install drivers for a Lacie USB hard drive? Or does this have something to do with what I did with my graphic card drivers?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

Hi TrashDept and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Hard to say without knowing which model drive you bought. Didn't it come with a manual? Did it come with a disk for installing drivers?

HERE is a link to the manufacturer's website. There is a .pdf manual link at the bottom of the page. Of course, if you bought a different model you will need to surf around their site to find the info.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 SuperSam

SuperSam

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

"SM Bus Controller" is the chipset driver and should be installed right after a fresh installation of XP...even before you install other drivers or software. The USB drivers are a part of the chipset drivers. (as is the case most of the time)

Sam.

#4 TrashDept

TrashDept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hi Supersam, Albert Frankenstein, et al...

These three devices had problems only after I uninstalled and updated my graphics card and plugged in the Lacie external hard drive. Before there were no problems. I did not buy the external new. It is a drive filled with files for a movie I am editing. I received it from a client and plugged it in my USB port (first time I used this port. My machine is very new). Do my problem devices only pertain to my USB ports? Or do they have other functions? Maybe I just have to install drivers from Lacie? I was under the impression these drives are Plug and Play, so to speak. Could this have something to do with uninstalling my graphics card drivers?

thanks.

#5 TrashDept

TrashDept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

I forgot to mention that the USB external drive is working fine in spite of the problem devices.

thanks in advance.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

I forgot to mention that the USB external drive is working fine in spite of the problem devices.

Usually, these drives drivers are bundled with Windows, so you are correct, you plug them in, Windows finds the drivers and installs it, and then it works. Usually!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 TrashDept

TrashDept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

ok,

I tried uninstalling the devices and re-installing. The result was "found new hardware" and then the window that asks to find the software for drivers - so no luck with that (back where I started).

Downloaded Everest. Clicked Summary. Lots of devices in blue. (I'm not completly convinced that Blue means problems or half my computer would not work and, by the way, my machine is working perfectly besides my three problem devices) All USB devices were working properly (not in blue). I then looked under "Disk Drives" - found External drive (Seagate USB- in blue). Clicked on link went to web site and read this:

"Seagate hard drives do not require any special drivers for Microsoft Windows operating systems. The generic hard drive driver should support your hard drive."

Now, what exactly are

PCI Bridge Device
PCI Memory Controller
SM Bus Controller

Remember they are listed in the device manager under "other devices" not under Universal serial bus controllers.

?? I need some answers. My USB external drive is working fine. Did I uninstall some drivers when I updated my graphics card? Are you sure these three devices only have to do with my USB ports?

Thanks for your help so far.

Chris.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:40 AM

Hi TrashDept.

Remember they are listed in the device manager under "other devices" not under Universal serial bus controllers.

As SuperSam stated, those pertain to your motherboards chipset.
They should be listed in device manager under "system devices" and nowhere else. :thumbsup:
The only way you're going to cure it is install your systems mainboard drivers.
I'm wondering one thing though. You said you removed then upgraded your video card drivers. Is your video 'on board" or do you have a seperate video card? In either case, that is were your problem started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users