Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HDD, Limited Phoenix BIOS. I'm at my wit's end.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GrinningGoku

GrinningGoku

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hello all,

I very recently purchased this product: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Internal-2-5-Inch/dp/B004I9J5OG for my Gateway MD7818U laptop (https://www.google.bs/search?q=Gateway%20MD7818U&aq=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=YyODUeyjC42Q8wSO1IHYAQ&biw=1280&bih=923&sei=ZiODUaC5E5Lg8wSgr4CIAQ) that I've owned since Sept. 2009. The hard drive it shipped with started to fail in December of 2012, so I decided to purchase a new HDD rather than shelling out 500-600 dollars for a new laptop. I burned a copy of Windows Vista (which the laptop originally shipped with) and  I attempted to install it on the new HDD. I've been trying for the past two days and all that happens is the screen becomes black with the short, blinking white/gray line after the initial screen that has the F2 BIOS option and the F10 boot options. The DVD simply makes noise for a minute or two then nothing happens. All I see is the aforementioned blinking grayish line in the upper left corner of the black screen. I've read suggestions about changing SATA modes or whatever, but my BIOS does not offer that option. Below are all the options the Phoenix SecureCore™ Setup Ulitiliy offers me:

Main:
System Time

System Date

BIOS Version:
CPU Type:

CPU Speed:

Cache Ram:

Total Memory:

Slot 1 Memory:

Slot 2 Memory:

Video Memory:

Primary Storage

Optical Drive

Advanced:

I/O Configuration: Internal WLAN Power State:  

Internal  BlueTooth Power State: 

Internal LAN:                   

Wake On LAN Feature

Legacy USB Support:

Large Disk Access Mode:

Wake On Lid Switch:

Battery Auto Learning:

Quiet Boot Mode:

Execute-Disable Bit Capability 

Security:

Supervisor Password Is:

User Password Is:

HDD Password: 
HDD Master ID:

Set Supervisor Password (White Text):

Set User Password:

Set HDD Password:

Password on boot:

Boot:

Boot Order:

1. CDROM/DVD

2. USB Floppy Drive

3. Main Hard Drive

4. USB Storage Stick

5. USB Hard Drive

6. Boot To LAN

Boot Devices:

CDROM/DVD

Main Hard Drive

USB Devices

Boot to LAN

Exit:

Exit Saving Changes

Exit Discarding Changes

Load Setup Defaults

Discard Changes

Save Changes

Item Specific Help

Exit System Setup and 
save your changes to CMOS. 

Oh, I almost forgot that I tried installing Windows XP SP3 without success. I got a BSoD (this exact one:http://support.citrix.com/article/html/images/CTX118263-1.gif) after the laptop indicated that some stuff was installing. So can anyone help me considering that the BIOS I am using is effectively useless?

Edited by GrinningGoku, 03 May 2013 - 06:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

are you sure its not just another defective hard drive?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 GrinningGoku

GrinningGoku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

are you sure its not just another defective hard drive?

It's possible. But how likely is that? Also, how do I definitively determine whether or not it's defective?

Edited by GrinningGoku, 03 May 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Do you have another system you can test it in, or the hard drive diagnostic tools from the manufacturers website? Try this --->http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Western-Digital-DLG-Diagnostics.shtml

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Download the WD diagnostic tool, the DOS option, and burn the disc then boot from the disc to run the diagnostics.

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 GrinningGoku

GrinningGoku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Download the WD diagnostic tool, the DOS option, and burn the disc then boot from the disc to run the diagnostics.

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor

Do you mean I should download both options or just the DOS option?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

The DOS version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users