Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want an external drive just to keep my data safe for years to come

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kusai

Kusai

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hey Can you plz help me out here, I want an external drive with a capacity of 1 tb just for storage but I am confused between portable or desktop external hdd, I just want a drive to safely store my collection of videos and music for years to come,so just for storage and nothing else ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

I would buy a good quality HD and an enclosure.  I prefer this HD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533).  Then you can find an enclosure that matches your needs.  I would recommend something with USB 3 or sata, if your computer has it, so your transfer rates are higher.  

#3 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

I would buy a good quality HD and an enclosure.  I prefer this HD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533).  Then you can find an enclosure that matches your needs.  I would recommend something with USB 3 or sata, if your computer has it, so your transfer rates are higher.  

nah my computer has USB 2.0 as of now but I am gonna upgrade soon, but thats an internal hdd, I thought abt an external, but is internal with enclosure better than an external,ummm confused :blink:

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

I have been buying only USB3 Externals for a while now. The last ones I bought were 2Tb at $79.99 with free shipping. On Sale. I love the speed difference with USB3 versus USB2.

At the price difference between 1Tb and 2 TB why get get the larger drives. If You have windows 7 or You could also get 3Tb or 4TB externals. I do not recall if they larger ones work with Vista.

If the data is important use at least two externals and have one be a mirror of the other. They are hard drives and is a question of when they will die, not if they will die.

I also back up the same files to DVD or BluRay blanks for redundancy.

The main reason to Buy a portable drive is to carry it around with your laptop for example. This means there is more chance of dropping it and damaging it when moving it around.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 May 2013 - 09:20 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Kusai

Kusai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:00 AM

I have been buying only USB3 Externals for a while now. The last ones I bought were 2Tb at $79.99 with free shipping. On Sale. I love the speed difference with USB3 versus USB2.

At the price difference between 1Tb and 2 TB why get get the larger drives. If You have windows 7 or You could also get 3Tb or 4TB externals. I do not recall if they larger ones work with Vista.

If the data is important use at least two externals and have one be a mirror of the other. They are hard drives and is a question of when they will die, not if they will die.

I also back up the same files to DVD or BluRay blanks for redundancy.

The main reason to Buy a portable drive is to carry it around with your laptop for example. This means there is more chance of dropping it and damaging it when moving it around.

Good Luck

Roger

Thanks for answering Roger, :) umm so the portable drive is not worth for storage for peeps like me, who just want to keep data safe for a lifetime, like I want a drive to store the data in case my internal hdd fails, which means I would not touch the external for years to come, and my data is more than 500 GB and the Blu ray disc is not worth it as of now, and I don't even possess a blu ray writer, umm help me out plz, :rolleyes:

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'm not an expert but I should think external HDD's are prone to getting virused or corrupted or might blow a gasket or something whenever they're connected to the PC, so wouldn't it be better to simply dispense with an ext HDD and burn data straight from your PC to DVD's? 

Putting all your valuable eggs into one basket (the ext HDD) could be risky, but burning chunks of data to a number of DVD's (including backups) spreads it around a bit.

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 07 May 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Hi Kusai, Nothing will be usable forever. For example I have a lot of 1.2Mb 5 1/4 inch floppies that are becoming useless as the drives to read become unavailable. My newer computers don't even support that drive.

Fortunately most of what they hold need is now not needed.

MickinPlymouthUK, If You read one of my replies I suggest 2 Backup externals and optical media. If the external drives are unplugged except when something is added to them they are less likely to become damaged by viruses or corruption.

Mine are unplugged from the AC except when I want to use them. Full drives are labeled, put back into the box they came in and placed on a secure shelf. To prevent corruption they need to be stopped or the computer powered off before they are removed.

I also backup to DVD or BluRay to have two different types of media holding things.

Cheers

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 May 2013 - 06:18 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

to your original question about portable and desktop external, the difference is the portable drives are smaller (2.5" drive) and are powered by the USB connection, where externals use 3.5" drives and are powered via a wall plug, externals are cheaper but you need a wall outlet to use it but portables you can ues anywhere with a laptop.

The MOST permanent media to store things on would be (as MickinPlymouthUK mentioned) either DVD's or Blu-rays, these you can burn to and set somewhere with no worry degradation even after decades without use (as long as they arent scratched or anything), HDD's can lose data over time if they are in close proximity to a large source of electrical noise (flourescent lights, electromagnets, generators/motors, etc) but properly stored they will theoretically last forever (mind you metals and things will corrode over time so youre looking at 15-50 years)

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

rotor123 suggested an as close to perfect solution you can have for saving data at a consumer level.

I have a couple of WD 1TB Blacks and several docking stations that get most of the backup data.  Real, real important stuff (stuff the wife deems important) gets put onto DVDs and Blu-rays as needed.  The WD drives stay packed in their shipping containers in the original conductive wrap when not in their stations.  I never have less than 2 independent copies of backup at any time, and including my optical media, 3 copies at all times, 4 copies if you include my USB drives in my safety deposit box.

Good FUJI and Verbatim DVDs have been solid for over 10 years, and I check them.  I keep an old BenQ DVD drive around and when I feel like it, I can do quality scans to record the  PI/PIE/PIF/P0 numbers.  High error readings are a precursor to data loss.  I have burned several Blu-ray disks, but haven't gotten around to do quality scans yet.

How you store data is darned near as important as what you store it on.  Learn about PAR files (QuickPar is my favorite).  Break your files up with something like 7zip, compress them, run Quick par to generate your PAR files and your data can survive anything but essentially a catastrophic disk failure.

I see it so often in my work.  Dead hard drive and some parent with 5 years of kids pics and videos that may be gone for good....and no backup.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

rotor123 suggested an as close to perfect solution you can have for saving data at a consumer level.

I have a couple of WD 1TB Blacks and several docking stations that get most of the backup data.  Real, real important stuff (stuff the wife deems important) gets put onto DVDs and Blu-rays as needed.  The WD drives stay packed in their shipping containers in the original conductive wrap when not in their stations.  I never have less than 2 independent copies of backup at any time, and including my optical media, 3 copies at all times, 4 copies if you include my USB drives in my safety deposit box.

Good FUJI and Verbatim DVDs have been solid for over 10 years, and I check them.  I keep an old BenQ DVD drive around and when I feel like it, I can do quality scans to record the  PI/PIE/PIF/P0 numbers.  High error readings are a precursor to data loss.  I have burned several Blu-ray disks, but haven't gotten around to do quality scans yet.

How you store data is darned near as important as what you store it on.  Learn about PAR files (QuickPar is my favorite).  Break your files up with something like 7zip, compress them, run Quick par to generate your PAR files and your data can survive anything but essentially a catastrophic disk failure.

I see it so often in my work.  Dead hard drive and some parent with 5 years of kids pics and videos that may be gone for good....and no backup.

Hi, I agree it is depressing to see someone lose all their pictures or videos of family.

I saw a case where they thought they were good to go, They had a external case with mirrored drives that held everything. They got a notification that a drive was going bad. Turned out that both drives were bad.

And now with the Ransomeware that can encrypt any drives it is even more important to keep them offline unless needed.

I used Made In Japan Fuji DVDs until I couldn't get them easily, Never a Problem.

Now I use Verbatim DVD and BluRay blanks. Not the Verbatim Life series DVDs however. BluRay I stick to HTL and not LTH as it appears that the LTH have a lower reflectivity. It used to be You could say get the Verbatims and they would be good. Now they have a cheap junk line (Life series) for retail stores.

I also hear good things about Taiyo Yuden DVDs.

I learned my lesson about using cheap media with CD-R disks. I bought the cheapest I could find and paid the price when I went to get something off of some of them and it had faded. That was back prior to getting the Sony DRU500A back in 2002.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm definitely learning from this thread and to sum up so far, I gather we've got 3 options and can use them all-

1- Save on a HDD

2- Burn to disk.

3- Print out important data and photos on paper. (paper is immune to things that can hurt disks such as solar flares etc)

Has anybody mentioned data-storage hosts yet as a 4th option (assuming there are any)?  For example I've got a couple of thousand images at Photobucket and Imageshack which I post in various military history/wargaming forums etc. Needless to say I've also burned them all to DVD's, but if anything happens to my disks I know the images are still safe at the hosts site.

#12 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I also hear good things about Taiyo Yuden DVDs.

I learned my lesson about using cheap media with CD-R disks. I bought the cheapest I could find and paid the price when I went to get something off of some of them and it had faded. 

Cheers

Roger

Yup, Fuji was the surest way of getting Taiyo Yuden media.  When I went mostly to +R media, Verbatim became my go to stuff.  Main thing to avoid was CMC Magnetics, real iffy.

Funny thing, Verbatim contracted CMC to make DVDs (with good dyes) and they were OK.  Most Verbatim is made in India now and it isn't quit as good as the old stuff.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users